Is sweating bad or good for the health?

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 2.07.29 PMDo you ever get concerned when you work out really hard and do not sweat? Or when you sweat too much? I believe sweating is a positive thing for the human body and health. According to http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2014/01/10/sweating-benefits.aspx, sweating maintains proper temperature, expels toxins, kills viruses and bacteria, and cleans pores.  Along with sweat cleaning pores to eliminate acne, sweating can also cause acne if you do not have good hygiene while allowing yourself to sweat. During workouts, sweating allows the body to maintain certain temperatures so your body does not overheat.

Sitting in a sauna obviously allows the body to produce a lot of sweat in a short period of time. That is one easy way to allow your body to sweat. Sitting in a sauna has positive side effects for the body similarly to how sweating while exercise does. It reduces cold and flu, body detox, skin cleansing, relaxation. Another way to sweat while relaxing is hot yoga. I am absolutely terrible at yoga, but when I want to sweater and feel like i am exercising, I always resort to hot yoga.

In conclusion, I think sweating is very good for the health. According to facts and studies done, there is nothing significant that shows sweating is bad for the body.

6 thoughts on “Is sweating bad or good for the health?

1. Maryann Deanna Valentine

Although you share some great points on how sweat is actually good for your health, I have found a few reasons why sweat is actually bad for our health. Like your stated briefly, sweat causes a lot of acne. According to Charles Bryant from http://www.howstuffworks.com, sweat causes an overproduction of skin oils that causes a blockage. This blockage then creates a growth of acne bacteria under our skin. These breakouts are hard to rid because the bacteria is trapped! Another reason why sweat is bad for our health is that sweat creates a type of balding! Hair loss is a result of sweating too much because when we sweat, lactic acids are released. These lactic acids are detrimental to our hair follicles because the follicles become weak and brittle. As a result, the weak and brittle hairs are easily broken. The lactic acid also halts hair growth. The lactic acid from sweat creates an inflammation on our scalp that alters the way new hairs form.

2. Olivia Yvette Noble

Also a lot of the reasons why people begin to break out after sweating is because of the oils that are coming from a persons head. A lot of times people put different hair products in their hair that contain lots of oils inside of them. When a person starts to sweat the oils from the hair begin to seep onto the persons head which causes them to break out in certain spots. Here is an article that talks about how hair products can possibly break you out. Very informative post!

3. Kaitlin A Kemmerer

I actually found Jenna’s comment really interesting. When I was younger, my mom would always layer me up in warm clothes, make me drink lots of water, and tell me to “sweat it out” on top of taking my medication. She lived by that method to help me get “better sooner.” Sweating out a fever always made me feel worse and just exhausted.

I also did not know that sweating cleared out your pores. I’ve never experienced breakouts after working out because I always immediately washed off, but I know a lot of girls used to complain about sweating and then breaking out. So it just shows that if you use proper hygiene sweating is in fact good for you.

4. Jenna Rae Stoklosa

I have heard that when people have fevers, instead of taking medicine to lower the fever, they will just “sweat it out”. They will just lay in bed and in warm clothes and let themselves sweat to reduce their fever. I researched more on this method of lowering a fever and found that sweating does not cause a fever to go down. It is just recommended to take medication to help control your fever. I wouldn’t want to sweat out a fever anyway because you feel gross enough when you are sick, so why add in sweat to the mix? Here is the link I found..

http://www.everydayhealth.com/cs-cold-flu-pictures-myths/colds-and-flu-whats-true.aspx#09

5. Heather Elise Wagner

I remember hearing girls complain in gym class about having to run because they didn’t want to break out from the sweat. Your article points out that the true cause of people breaking out from sweating doesn’t lie in the workout itself but the hygiene that takes place after it. It makes sense that sweat releases dirt and germs from our pores but it doesn’t propel it off of our faces. Obviously if you don’t wash the sweat off then its just going to run over your face and body and dry and put the grime in a new area. I enjoyed reading about this gross affect of exercise. This article may interest you.

6. Byanca Melissa Rodriguez Villanueva

I hate to say but I sweat a lot when I excersice. Even after 15 minutes of excersive, I am all sweat, and at first I though that something was wrong with me and it was bad to sweat that much but the truth is that sweat is the body`s built-in mechanism for keeping cool.
    With the sweat your body is able to expel the toxins and impurities through your skin pores.
    Your skin can also benefit from sweat. During sweating, the skin pores are open and all dirt and impurities that are on your skin surface are all purges out.
    As you body has increased heat, which is why you sweat, your body manufactures more white blood cells and this booots your inmune system.

http://newhealthguide.net/4-Reasons-Why-Sweating-Is-Good-For-You.html

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/men/sweating-odor/sweating-good-for-skin.htm