Are eating your boogers good for you?

picking-nose-1

When kids are kids are sitting there with there fingers deep up their nose digging for gold, most parents usually yell at them or tell them that its bad, or whatever discipline they use. Its looked down upon as a bad habit among younger kids. Especially eating the boogers after.

Despite this frowned upon habit, a biochemist from the University of Saskatchewan came up with a theory that consuming your boogers may actually be good for you. The logic behind his reasoning is that by consuming your own mucus, you are allowing pathogens into your body that will actually increase your immune system and build up fighting strength against germs. Now if this was proven true, perhaps it would become expected to encourage children to eat their boogers.

Even though there is solid reasoning behind this biochemist’s theory, it has never actually been proven to be neither healthy or unhealthy. “Other experts believe this theory (which has yet to be tested) doesn’t necessarily hold water, since people swallow nasal secretions every day, even in their sleep, even if they don’t eat their boogers” (Mercola).  So maybe eating boogers, as far as health goes, is equivalent to nasal secretions, making it not worth any scientist’s time to conduct an experiment about this.

After reading into this topic, if I could provide a conclusion to this theory that eating boogers are good for you, I would not accept the theory nor would I reject the idea that it is unhealthy. I would leave it as it is the same as swallowing any other mucus, a natural event that happens to us daily. But again, this is still yet to be tested.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/13/nose-picking.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/germs-health_b_3327755.html

One thought on “Are eating your boogers good for you?

1. Chloe Atherton Cullen

This is a very interesting yet maybe weird entry. I’m trying to think what kind of experiment they could conduct in order to test and see if the boogers did help. You can’t do a double-blind placebo because everyone around you can tell if you’re picking your nose – that stigma is the reason people aren’t picking their nose in the first place. Also, if the idea of eating our own nasal secretions in our sleep is true, that could confund the experiment. The results might not be strictly from the eaten boogers, and it would be very hard to tell how much mucus one is consuming involuntarily. I’ll keep thinking about this (unfortunately because it’s kind of gross) but thanks for sharing!