Are modern day corsets safe for women?

Me wearing the waist trainer

The big new trend is a new undergarment that is popular among women. Celebrities and everyday women are investing in these latex body shapers in hopes of gaining a hourglass figure. Recently my mother gave me a waist trainer and I love it. It takes a little getting used to but I feel like it is helping me monitor my food intake while extremely tightening my abdomen area. But is this ancient practice safe and effective?

The myth is that the waist trimmer will magically transform your body by just wearing it. No, the corset is actually very dangerous if it is not used properly. There is the risk of accidently shifting internal organs and pushing them closely together and there is no scientific data indicating accurate results from wearing the garment. Keri Peterson, a doctor at Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC says that the practice has no medical standing and is an outrageous idea. Realistically a garment extremely tight around your waist will not shed inches but it will dramatically decrease your daily calorie intake. Your body is tricked into feeling fuller while wearing the corset and your eat less which is what really causes the weight loss.

The corset could cause acid reflux because of the constant pressure on your abdominal area. Acid reflux is when solids or liquids drip back into the stomach and travel to the esophagus which causes painful heartburn and indigestion.  The corset could also cause  trouble breathing regularly. The pressure on your lungs and diaphragm can be problematic when trying to take deep breaths in and out. The pressure does not allow your lungs to completely fill up with air. Also from personal experience , it is very hard to exercise with the corset on because it does to restrict your body movements to a certain  extent. Corset can also cause bruising, scratching, irritation and chafing on the skin beneath the garment. Constipation is common when wearing the garment as well because your intestines are being heavily compressed for a long period of time. The corset could cause the unexpected results of slowing weight loss. In order for the body to run properly you need to get enough oxygen and this is compromised while wearing the corset.

The corset is not one of the healthier choices when it comes to weight loss and maintaining a healthy body. It could actually be doing more damage than benefit. There are several alternative options for weight loss that have more longevity and safe results. Personally I will still use my corset because I want to see if there is any change in my body. I am more aware of the side effects so I will be more careful when using the garment. Life is all about risks.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health/Why-wearing-a-corset-for-hours-can-be-dangerous/articleshow/24440413.cms

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/15/you-should-probably-pass-on-this-whole-corset-diet-fad.html

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/corset-diet