Are science and religion compatible?

God-and-scientist

After reading an article on the Huffington post website, it seems as though more Americans think that there is more common ground between science and religion than many believe. In the article, it says that 10,000 American’s were surveyed and an overwhelmingly large amount thought that there was more common ground, and only 27% of people surveyed thought that they had conflict. Along with these things found in the survey, about half of scientists and evangelicalist’s believe that science and religion can work together. I think this evidence is interesting, since previously the separation of church and state has been an overwhelmingly large debated topic. Me, being not particularly passionate on either of these subjects, finds their relationship interesting. If science and religion started to work together, I think there would be many more discoveries that would benefit the scientific world and the religious world alike. While some scientists argue that keeping the two subjects separate is crucial “keeping peace” between the two communities, I think a great deal of useful information would be formed. If there was a scientific or religious theory, if the two worked together to “solve” the theory, the other community may have the missing puzzle piece, so to speak. If modern society was more open to the thought of the two communities, the possibilities could be endless, and I truly believe something amazing would come out of the woodwork. In due time, I believe these two extremely important fields of study will come to realize the importance the other field carries, and when they do come together, incredible things will be discovered.

Here is the link in which I found this article

3 thoughts on “Are science and religion compatible?

1. Alexi Zacarias

I agree with your opinion. I feel if science and religion worked together more often, a lot more answers would be revealed regarding religious/ scientific topics. I never knew so many people agreed that science and religion could be comparable. I always thought it was the exact opposite. I’m not extremely religious nor do I love science, but I think religion can benefit from scientific aid/ reasoning on many subjects.

2. Margaret Mercedes Mccarthy

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/science_religion
    this website goes into more depth about the different roles of science and religion. It states that while science investigates the natural world, religion deals with the supernatural. As we learned in class science does involve the supernatural, it just cannot be used to provide explanations. So, the coexistence you speak of is already underway.

3. Dana Rose Riley

I completely agree with this. Since I went to a Catholic high-school, I have witnessed this first hand. The idea that science and religion can coexist is completely true as I was taught both without one disrupting the other. Although they are clearly two different ideas and ways of thinking, it is good to know that people don’t necessarily have to pick a side.