Does coffee actually make you tired?

coffee

Have you ever drank a venti Starbucks coffee and received an extreme caffeine high from it? They usually last a few hours, and you feel superhuman. You get an immediate surge of energy, which is so extreme that it can make your whole body shake with excitement. This feeling of heightened energy is used to wake up from a night of little sleep, to stay awake in order to finish a huge exam paper, or to simply make it through your day without the feeling of grogginess. However, after the caffeine high, a sudden crash inevitably hits. You start to feel exhausted, almost as if you have no energy to possibly use. Most people solve this energy withdrawal with another large cup of coffee. Although coffee is used as the solution to this problem, could it also be the antagonist?

According to a chemist, caffeine is categorized as a purine. Purines are generally organic compounds that are based around a simple base structure. More specifically, caffeine is a hexagonal compound that is tightly encased by oxygen molecules. When ingested by animals, this structure becomes activated. The activation of this molecule creates an energized feeling.

For years, scientists weren’t sure if caffeine was the actual cause of this sudden surge of energy. However, in 1980 an experiment proved that caffeine caused the brain cell receptors to activate and become increasingly energized. However, over time, the caffeine would actually block the brain cells normal functions. This would cause a type of sedative.

To more easily explain this idea, caffeine follows a system called first-order metabolism. This means that no matter how much coffee is ingested, as time passes a part of what was originally there will be gone.

Therefore, although coffee is used as a tool to stimulate our bodies, it contrastingly produces a reverse effect. This fact doesn’t mean that one should stop drinking coffee. Knock yourself out! However, lower the intake of caffeine you ingest daily. This will in turn prevent an extreme crash of energy throughout the day.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/how-does-caffeine-affect-nervous-system-health-research/Content?oid=875717

http://www.livestrong.com/article/468290-why-does-drinking-coffee-make-you-tired/

4 thoughts on “Does coffee actually make you tired?

1. Anne Curry Heffernan

Personally, whenever I drink coffee I don’t feel energized or any different from how I felt before. Same goes when I drink other caffeinated drinks like soda. However, when I do get a bad headache a cup of coffee or a piece of chocolate (that usually contains caffeine) usual does the trick, and my headache will go away and then sometimes come back later. Caffeine has actually been put it some pain reliever drugs and even some over the counter medicines because it helps relieve headaches 40% more effectively. It also helps absorb the drugs more faster into the body. Taking caffeine instead of other drugs can help lower the chances of addiction to those pain relievers.
    http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-caffeine

2. Kathryn Lauren Filling

I have never been a coffee drinker because I hate the test, but when I came to college i needed something to keep me awake in my 8 am classes. I tried it a few times and I found that after the energy wore off, I was so much more tired than when I woke up. This got me wondering, does drinking caffeine then make our body keep craving more? I did a little research and what I found was the craving caffeine could be in your genetics! The gene is called CYP1A2 and it plays a role in caffeine metabolism. So if you have crazy coffee drinkers in your family you might want to watch out! Read more here!