The Power of Music

Music is certainly a force to be reckoned with. I’ll admit I’ve had a song make me tear up, feel inspired, or pumped me and make me feel like running a marathon. Music has the power to sway our emotions, but can music heal us? Is it possible for a series of sound waves to have an healing effect on us?

Sound Of Music Lady - THE PATIENT'S ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUSIC

A study set to see if music could improve symptoms of those in the hospital with schizophrenia. A single blind (the assessors were blind) randomized control trial took place with 81 participants. A variety of music was played for the patients along with a trained music therapist. Those who had music therapy added to their standard care had greater improvement with their symptoms in comparison to those who just had standard care. I believe this study was set up and controlled very well. The sample size is a little bit on the small size, but I believe that it isn’t small enough to make the findings obsolete.

An article reported on the neurochemistry of music, and noted that music can have positive physical effects such as: reducing heart rate, blood pressure, and cortisol levels. It adds in addition that a proposed mechanism of music is that it can regulate stress, arousal and emotions by initiating brainstem responses. It suggests that tempo plays a big role, and that the brainstem fires in response to the tempo.

Another article discusses the power of music, claiming that music affects the heart, arteries, and lungs and could even help patients who have circulatory conditions. They had volunteers listen to orchestras play, and also had them listen to two minutes of silence. Researchers found that rising crescendos raised blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration rates. In contrast, calming music did the opposite. During the two minute silence volunteer’s blood pressure and heart rate was reduced.

Can music heal? Well, it isn’t going to cure cancer, or destroy Ebola, but it definitely has some positive physical effects on our bodies. Music therapy is a field that has seen surprising and positive results and will continue to. In addition, music can certainly be cheaper than lots of other treatments with no side effects. There’s no harm in popping in some ear buds and listening to Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9.

2 thoughts on “The Power of Music

1. Emily A Glogowski

I also wrote an article on music, but had no idea it could have healing effects! This is very interesting and I feel as if music definitely could help in this way. I know there is a song for my every mood and music can also affect that mood. This type of experiment seems like it can offer real help! Very good blog!

2. Kristen Louise Robertson

I totally agree with this post. My mom owns a dance studio and I have been dancing ever since I was four years old. I really do believe that music (along with dance) can be healing. I would go into dance class annoyed, sick, or upset and I would always leave in a good mood. I think a lot of it had to do with the music too! Heres a study you might find interesting about music and dance helping depression! http://www.adta.org/Resources/Documents/Koch%20-%20The%20joy%20dance%20study.pdf