My Food Has To Be Super Hot

I have a very bad habit and no it is not smoking, drinking, or drugs. My bad habit can be found in everyone’s kitchen at home and dorm here in State College. Microwave addiction, well it is not really an addiction of a microwave but I do have a need for my food to be extremely hot when I eat it. Almost everything I eat I put in the microwave. Not to cook it but to heat it up. It is so bad that even when having a pizza delivered I go straight to the kitchen to warm it up. My family always make fun of me for it but it may not be that funny because my small problem today of having to eat hot food may turn to a bigger problem down the road from using the microwave too much.

I decided to do some research to see how microwaving food may be effecting my body. One negative of using microwaves is that the water molecules in the food and the microwave quickly revolve in high frequencies. As a result, the food gets warmed up from the molecular friction. The molecular composition of the food then changes which reduces the nutrients in the food. Another negativity with heating food in the microwave is that carcinogens are formed in the food once you heat plastic covered food and food inside non-microwave safe plastic containers in the microwave. In addition, microwaves are bad for you because they can change your heart rate due to the radiation frequency produced by microwaves. The 2.4 GHz radiation instantaneously causes dramatic changes in to your heart rate. Moreover, a Swiss clinical study has found that microwaves can change the makeup of your blood. The study has found that the eight individuals in the study consumed microwaved mile and vegetables had their blood changed as a result. The study has also found that the individuals’ red blood cells have diminished, yet their white blood cells and cholesterol has increased.

I have also found other evidence that supports that microwave ovens are not harmful to human beings. The cancer research UK website has stated that microwaves are not radioactive, will not cause cancer, nor harm you in any way if you follow the instructions for use. A modern microwave oven in good condition only effect the nutritional value of your food if you over cook your food. It can be healthy to use a microwave to cook your food if you use a little water so you will not overcook it.

In conclusion, I believe that it is safe to eat food heated in the microwave. There are some exceptions but that is only if you do not follow directions. Sitting in a chair is safe for you but if you do not use it properly it can be potentially harmful; the same goes for microwaves. For myself, I will continue to use microwaves to heat up my food but I just have to be mindful that I am not overcooking my food and reducing its nutrients. Also, I have to be cautious of non-microwaveable cookware. From the study who provided is not strong enough to change my views on microwaves because the study was two small, it wasn’t mentioned if the test subjects were random, and there were no mention of a control group.

“5 Reasons Why Microwave Oven Cooking Is Harming Your Health.”Medical Daily. N.p., 10–10 Aug. 2013. Web. 5 Dec. 2014.
UK, Cancer Research. “Radiation, Microwaves and Cancer.” Document. N.p., 8–4 2013. Web. 5 Dec. 2014.