Initial Blog Post

Hello everyone, my name is Ty Miller. I am a Smeal freshman from Boyertown, Pennsylvania, and I could rank my favorite things in life as follows: music, comedy, and friendship. One common theme in this short list is the lack of exactness involved in each. These things are loose, off the cuff, and, most notably, cannot be boiled down to a science. I understand the necessity for science in our lives, I appreciate those who do science, but I am personally not interested in learning about our world in a traditionally scientific way.

I've posted this photo of the Hindenburg because I could not think of anything better, but also because this may well represent my performance in SC200.

I’ve posted this photo of the Hindenburg because I could not think of anything better, but also because this may well represent my performance in SC200.

I am taking this course because I enjoy challenging myself and participating in critical thinking, but I am not a science major because I found no joy in any aspect of my high school science classes. I most assuredly hated the experiments that inhabited my time in those classes, and I am happy to be in a science class that is more conceptual than physical. Speaking of conceptual thought, I have recently become interested in ancient Greek philosophy, and have been working my way chronologically through its history from the pre-socratics now to Aristotle. Did you know that early philosophy looked a lot like crude science? Many great minds took a stab at explaining the universe in ways that seem largely ridiculous now, but, given the lack of scientific knowledge available to them, made a decent amount of sense at the time. Representing this interest and my love of music, please enjoy this video of philosophers having a rap battle.