Is Feng Shui a Science?

What is Feng Shui? (This is the link where the article comes from)

“If you’ve already read a bit about Feng Shui, you may be somewhat confused by the seemingly contradictory advice you’ve encountered. People who are unfamiliar with this method may have some misconceptions and apprehension.

Feng Shui is not

• A get-rich-quick method of Asian interior design that guarantees impossible results for mystically rearranging your furniture
  • A superstitious or magical belief system, or a New Age fad that disconnects you from reality or from your daily life
  • A simple home and garden makeover
  • A quick fix to be tackled in one afternoon
  • A luxury only the rich and famous can afford

So the million-dollar question is, what is Feng Shui?

• On the surface, Feng Shui is the simple interaction of humans and their environments. Taken a step further, Feng Shui enables you to influence these interacting energies to achieve specific life improvements. This influence is achieved by positioning or designing your surroundings in harmony with principles of natural energy flow. As a result, you (and your life) can achieve harmony with your surroundings. Feng Shui is practical and grounding, and it helps you right where you live and work.
  • Feng Shui is often referred to as the art of placement. How you place your furniture, possessions, and yourself within your surroundings largely determines your life experience at every level. Feng Shui offers a unique way of looking at yourself and your environment, and it provides a way of bringing balance, comfort, and harmony into your environment in a manner that is difficult to achieve by any other means.
  • Feng Shui is the study of the relationships between the environment and human life. Discovered by the Chinese, Feng Shui has been practiced for centuries to design environments that enhance conditions for success in life.

Interesting bits of historical Feng Shui confirmation are starting to emerge. For example, recent scientific research indicates that 28,000 years ago, Neanderthal cavemen (located in present-day Croatia) chose which caves to live in based on three criteria: The caves held the high ground in the area, the surrounding area was easily seen from the entrance of the cave, and the water source was easily accessible. These findings show that even our ancestors were naturally aware of the effects of placement in their environment. Interestingly enough, all three of these criteria are in harmony with the basic principles of Feng Shui, which has evolved and become more sophisticated along with humankind. Thus, Feng Shui is as relevant and beneficial to humankind today as it was 28,000 years ago.”

From all this information we got above, here are few conclusion that I’d to make:

1) Feng Shui is not a science because The evidence of Feng Shui  is extremely hard to detect

2)Feng Shui is not a science because the discoverer claims that the knowledge is ancient and hence more credible

3)Those two points mentioned above are some knowledge that I learnt in my high school (Theory of Knowledge class) about identifying pseudoscience, if you want to know more about the pseudoscience, click here.

2 thoughts on “Is Feng Shui a Science?

1. Yuxing Cai Post author

Thank you for your common, But whats more interesting about FengShui is it was characterized into pseudoscience when it some times look like a religion. But I have learn about how to identify the Pseudoscience in my high school’s TOK class, here is some more information about identifying pseudoscience, feel free to check it.

2. cvp5306

Really interesting topic. I came to the same conclusion, I think this is something we all do naturally in our own space, perhaps not so sophisticated. I found it interesting that your perspective on Feng Shui was the same as mine. I always pictured the unaffordable high end interior designer who could see the space beyond the physical sense. I came away confirming my original thought as well, not a real science, but a little more like common sense.