Gel Manicures: Safe or Dangerous?

I have only gotten a gel manicure once in my life and it was a bittersweet experience. First off, the nail polish didn’t even last two full weeks. Second, when I didn’t have access to a nail salon right away, I tried to remove the nail polish myself and it was such a horrible experience. No matter how many different ways I tried I couldn’t get the nail polish off. So, I had to go and pay to get the nail polish professionally removed. While I sat in my chair and watched as they removed my nail polish through the use of chemicals and tools I started to wonder how anyone could go through this process bi-weekly. Not only was it a bit uncomfortable, but it didn’t seem good for you either. That is why I am blogging about this question, for myself and others who deserve to know whether or not the temporary luxury of un-chipped nails is worth the risk.

According to Dermatologist, Anne Chapas, MD, “Gel Manicures are inherently dangerous because many women are innocently going into salons thinking they are making their hands look better, but they are really putting themselves at some really serious risks.” Chapas, also goes onto explain that there are three main things wrong with gel manicures. The application process, the removal process, and the introduction to infections. First, the application process is dangerous because it entails the use of ultraviolet rays. Second, the removal process involves using tools that remove the surface of your nail ultimately thinning your nails. “A recent study shows that one time application and removal of gel manicures thins the nails by 50%,” said Chapas. Third, gel manicures can introduce infections to one’s nail because the tools used not only scrape the surface of your nail bed, but they can also cause cuts at the cuticle lines, thus opening your nails  up to bacteria and fungus.

nails eww

greenies!

However, have no fear! If you can’t live without gel manicures there are a few steps you can take to make this fad safer for you. First, avoid salons that use UV bulbs. Seeking out salons that utilize LED light will minimize the amount of radiation your hands are absorbing. Second, the go-to product to prevent skin damage. Sunscreen! Last, but not least, anti-UV gloves. You can put them on before you start your gel manicure. They are these white gloves that have openings at the tips so that while your hands are under the UV bulbs only your fingertips are exposed.

Be safe!

Websites Used:

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/are-gel-manicures-safe?video_id=2114091480001

http://images.nailsmag.com/post/M-NA02pseudo1-LR-1.jpg

2 thoughts on “Gel Manicures: Safe or Dangerous?

1. Megan Ann French

Back when I was home, I was one of those people who would constantly get their nails done every two to three weeks but I obviously don’t have time for that anymore. When I would go to the nail salon I would always get gel polish because it lasts longer and looks better. I would always make sure that they would put sunscreen on my hands due to the UV light that they would use to make it dry. This is a great blog for people who don’t know much about the damages of gel polish and can actually benefit a lot of people who get gel polish at the nail salon.

2. Margaret Mary Kreienberg

Whenever I go to the nail salon I always get regular polish. I too have heard horror stories abut Gel Manicures though. I have seen my friends pick away at their gel nails only to find a disturbed nail underneath. But, there is something to be said about the quality of the gel. It usually lasts longer and looks better. If you still want to get the gel look without the stress of a nail salon and manicurists, try out Sally Hansen Gel Nail Color. Its great because it last up to 14 days and there is no light required at all! Salon quality without the harms!