Breakfast: More Than an Average Meal

Untitled

The United States is one of the unhealthiest countries in the world leading to staggering obesity rates. Over 35% of American men and women are considered obese in part to the horrendous eating habits or lack of exercise (JamenNetwork). Although this is the case, one of the largest causes of obesity is the due to what they are not eating, breakfast. Growing up I often heard my mother reiterate the phrase, “make sure you eat a good breakfast, it’s the most important meal of the day.” Being a kid, I never took it literally, and often skipped out on it, and would eat my first meal in school at eleven.

For those trying to lose weight, skipping breakfast is one of the worst things that can be done. By doing this, your brain is tricked into thinking you want foods with higher calories. A study was conducted of twenty non-obese Americans who skipped breakfast. Doctors observed their blood flow increase affected by brain activity when they put a high calorie meal in front of them, then a healthy low calorie meal in front of them. The blood flow increased dramatically when the high calorie meal was displayed. Then they retested the people after they ate breakfast and the blood flow was the same for both healthy and unhealthy foods (WebMD)

Not only does skipping breakfast cause obesity, but may also lead to heart disease. Harvard recently conducted a study examining 27,000 men ranging from forty-five to eighty-two years old. Of these men, the men who skipped breakfast were 27% more likely to die due to cardiac arrest. This is not due to one specific side effect of skipping breakfast, but rather multiple that build up to be a deadly combination. Fasting leads to increased blood pressure, higher cholesterol, and blood concentrations of insulin. The prolonged period of fasting from the time we go to bed till lunch increases stress levels, leading to these serious issues (Forbes).

The key to reducing the obesity level involves the consumption of a hearty breakfast. Take a few extra minutes to wake up earlier allowing time for breakfast, and it could make a huge difference in one’s health physically and mentally.

(All Sources used are hyperlinked below with in text citations)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2013/07/23/why-is-skipping-breakfast-so-bad-for-our-heart-health/

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1104933&resultclick=1

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20090615/skip-breakfast-get-fat

4 thoughts on “Breakfast: More Than an Average Meal

1. Brendan Feifer

Hey!
    I’m not too much of a big breakfast eater myself. In fact, my first meal of the day is often lunch at noon. Reading your post got me thinking about some of my daily lifestyle choices, such as opting out of eating breakfast.
    You noted that eating breakfast could lead to heart disease, but some of the most common breakfast foods such as pastries are prevalent amongst the Penn State campus, especially at the numerous Starbucks kiosks that surround us. If we wanted to grab a healthy breakfast before class, could there be something more satisfying than a measly granola bar or cup of coffee that would fulfill our hunger?
    This was a very intriguing post. No breakfast may correlate with heart disease, but it definitely doesn’t cause it.

2. Shirneil Merisier

A recent study has actually challenged thenotion that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In the new study participants were asked to be in one of three groups: frosted flakes , oatmeal, nothing. the results were that group that was obese and didn’t eat anything were the only ones who lost weight. I mean I do know there are many factors that cause obesity, but I don’t think breakfast is a crucial part, because in other controls breakfast is not as essential as it is here in the U.S. In my opinion it all depends on what exactly you’re having for breakfast, not whether or not you are have breakfast.

3. Raychel Johnson

I have never been a breakfast person. Growing up I sometimes ate cereal or a pop tart but most of the time I skipped it and waited till lunch to have my first meal of the day. I’ve always been told how important it is to eat a good breakfast but since I’ve been at college, I’ve tried to at least eat a granola bar or grab a bagel to go. There has been links to breakfast affecting ones performance and how one is able to perform in school. I think this is important for students to understand because getting food with good nutrient value in the morning allows our brains to function better throughout a day of classes. Although breakfast may play a part with obesity in America, I think there are many other important factors that are increasing the number of obese Americans.

4. Megan Ann French

When I was younger too I wouldn’t eat breakfast either because I was never hungry in the morning since I would wake up so early. As I got older I started to hear that not eating breakfast wasn’t good for you so I started to eat breakfast more often. Even just a breakfast bar in the morning is better then nothing!