Are Humans Addicted to Their Cell Phones?

Addiction: the uncontrolled use of a habit-forming drug or uncontrolled and unhealthy behavior (such as video-game playing or phone texting). It results from an illness
triggered by brain changes that occur after using some drugs or after engaging in some iphoneextremely pleasurable activities.”

For my 12th birthday I got a cell phone. I was so excited to now be able to text all my friends! I was instantly obsessed. I would never put it down or leave anywhere without it. Lately, cell phones have been causing more problems, such as texting and driving. This has made me wonder, are humans actually addicted to their phones?

After extensively researching this topic, there was one fact that really stuck in my mind. This fact is that “the average college student uses a smartphone for about nine hours each day.” This blew my mind. This nine hours could be used to study, exercise, or socialize with friends. Why are we waisting these hours burying our heads in our phones scanning social media.

According to David Greenfield, a West Hartford, Connecticut psychologist, cell phones are “psychoactive.” Psychoactive means that they, “alter mood and often trigger enjoyable feelings.” People are wanting this boost in their mood, so they are beginning to become addicted to their phones. cell phone

This cell phone addiction is very bad for ones health. Cell phones not only distract you, but th
ey give off radiation. Radiation can cause many health problems such as cancer.

This article has open my eyes. Now, I will be conscious as to how often I am on my phone.

https://student.societyforscience.org/article/watch-out-cell-phones-can-be-addictive

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mental-mishaps/201303/are-you-addicted-your-cell-phone

http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/addicted-your-smartphone-what-to-do

http://www.medicaldaily.com/5-reasons-why-cellphones-are-bad-your-health-247624

3 thoughts on “Are Humans Addicted to Their Cell Phones?

1. Sarah Jo Sokoloski

I do believe that humans are addicted to cell phones. I believe it may be less similar to an addiction such as those with substances, but more so the idea that people use a cell phone as a crutch. People like to know what else is going on with every one through social media and not only that but there is this idea and need to always respond and always answer the cell phone. Many times people freak out when they are without their phone, or don’t know what to do. But I feel that these are learned habits and “addictions”, it also isn’t helping that adults are now relying on technology and cell phones to keep their children occupied. Children are beginning to rely on cell phones and technology younger and younger only perpetuating this addiction.

2. Haley Amanda Toadvine

It’s crazy but I do believe college students use their cell phones 9 hours a day. Students will spend hours at night laying in bed scrolling through social media, not to mention in between classes, at lunch, dinner, breakfast, etc. Technology has become such a huge factor of everyday life and as the first generation to really experience such technology, our generation is the only one to blame for such an addiction. It’s strange to think that our parents, only a few decades older, did not grow up with cell phones, texting or social media. A problem that I have noticed and plan to write a blog on is that cell phone communication is actually destroying social skills as well. According to teens who frequently communicate via phone have more difficultly in face to face interactions.

3. Sarah Elizabeth Stiffler

I am shocked that college students use their cell phones for 9 hours everyday!! As I think about it I can see how that is true. As I walk to class everyday, I am constantly looking at my phone, and the students around me are as well. When I’m getting ready to go to bed I always spend at least an hour on my phone. Throughout the day I’m always texting, so I can see how it adds up! Hopefully when people read your blog they will realize that they need to make an effort to not look at their phones as much.