Cracking Your Knuckles

Whenever I’m just sitting around, without even thinking, I’ll crack my knuckles, or my hips, or my ankles or my toes or even my back. Every time that happens my sister sits there cringing, wishing that she didn’t hear it. She tells me that “I’m going to cause arthritis” or that “it’s really bad for me” but is it really? Ever since I competed in dance, my bones began to crack more and more frequently. These thoughts always popped in my head wondering if cracking your bones can actually do any harm.

Many studies have been done to show the results toward bones cracking, although it is hard to find exact answers. After reviewing many analyses the answer is that it most likely does not harm you. Everyone can have different inputs but I think those who are fond of cracking their bones can say they would be happy to hear those results, I know I am.

One experiment that took place was through a scientist Fryer who was able to crack every finger. The experiment included using a tube connected to a cable that would be pulled until the joint cracked. The results were shown through an MRI video that showed the true visual of what occurs while you crack your bones.

When you crack your knuckles, your finger joints form a gas-filled cavity, known to be synovial fluid. In the past, scientists use to believe that joint cracking would cause more of a gap between joints, but it really doesn’t. Basically many scientists will say it depends on the frequency of times an individual will do it. Those who do it all the time may cause inflammation or swelling on their joints but not arthritis.

As a competitive dancer, I cannot shift my weight from side to side without a loud pop in my hip. I never purposely do it but I can’t break this habit. This is most common for dancers because when the hip snaps, a tendon rolls over protrusions of your femur or pelvis. Joseph P. Garry, MD showed another major study that only 1/3 of dancers who pop their hips were experiencing physical hip troubles.

hip

There aren’t many ways to prevent your bones from cracking. Scientists have suggested that if you do struggle with excessive hip popping, you should go to physical therapy in order to strengthen the hip flexor. One very common explanation for this is that dance is a sport that ignores certain prime flexors in the hip while you’re externally rotated hips and legs tighten other flexors that they are not use to using. Dr. Howenstine also recommended that the use of Vitamin K would strengthen bones. The vitamin produces a protein known as Osteocalcin, helps absorb and use calcium to strengthen bones.

Many people crack their bones so often that they don’t even realize that they’re doing it. In conclusion, those who crack their bones should not worry so much that they are harming their body. There are such ways to improve it but nothing that will seriously damage your body. There is not definite answer towards if there are such long term- effects but scientists continue to study it.

2 thoughts on “Cracking Your Knuckles

1. Courtney Michelle Walker

I loved loved loved this blog post. I am a gymnast, so I can totally relate to the constant cracking of every bone in our bodies. I am relieved to know that it doesn’t really cause long term damage. Everyone has always told me to stop cracking things because it’s bad for me. But thankfully it isn’t! I also loved the video of the MRI, I have never seen anything like that.

2. zsw5031

Every single time I crack my knuckles this exact topic pops up into my head. And I crack my knuckles a lot so I am actually always thinking about this. I’ve heard mixed opinions about whether it causes long-term affects to your health and have still never truly looked into the matter myself. I always tell myself to look up the science about it but it always slips my mind. I thought it was very cool how you included the video hyperlink of a live time MRI of cracking knuckles. Although I am still curious of to how, according to you, that scientists aren’t quite sure if it is 100% bad for your health. With all the scientific improvements to technology and the advances in modern medicine, you would think that could officially solve this myth. Either way I found your post extremely interesting and can say I am somewhat relieved that most signs point towards cracking knuckles not being harmful to your health.