Influences of a College Decision

Ever since I was a child, I have always dreamed of attending THE Pennsylvania State University. Not only because I knew it was a school close enough to home where I could have true college experience and because I would have an amazing 4 years, but because my Mom went there. My Mom is my role model, and I have always wanted to follow in her footsteps. f4b3c3c3165a1eee93aa341565e1fdaf

At the end of my junior year of high school my guidance counselor asked me, “what if you don’t get into Penn State?” I couldn’t give her an answer. I truly did not know how I would come to a decision if that was the case. That summer, I went from school to school, trying to not have a bias when I sat in numerous admissions offices. That September I could not make up my mind about my backup options, so I ended up submitting 12 college applications.

I know that last year while waiting for my acceptance letters to come in, I spent much of my spare time on the U.S. News Best Colleges Rankings and College Confidential websites, reading rankings and opinions from others trying to see which school “was the best”. If I did not get into Penn State, my mind was set on attending the best academic school that I got into. A few years prior in 2012, the University of California at Los Angeles conducted a study on influences that first-year students face on choosing which college to attend. They found many reasons that ones choose for attending a school, some of the top reason’s being:

1. The college has very good academic reputation (63.8 percent)

2. Their college graduates get good jobs (55.9 percent)

3. They were offered financial assistance (45.6 percent)

4. The cost of attending this college was fitting (43.3 percent)

5. A visit to this campus made them satisfied (41.8 percent)

6. The college has a good reputation for social activities (40.2 percent)

(Freshmen Students Say Rankings Aren’t Key Factor in College Choice)

Ironically, Penn State was the last school I heard back from, and my initial deposit was in seconds after I got my congratulations message. Recently after being here and absolutely loving my college experience, I sometimes wonder where I would’ve ended up spending my four college years if Penn State did not accept me. Would I have decided based on rankings? reputation? fun? sporting events? academics? How does the process of decision making really work?

Decision-making is not as easy of a task as people may think it is. Daily decisions, like choosing which way to walk to class, where to sit, and when to go to the bathroom seem like easy tasks- until we look back on them and ask ourselves, “why did I do that?” Neuroscientists have questioned why we decide and act the way that we do, and now with research, they have figured out some of the answers. According to Jan Glascher, the lead author of a study at the California Institute of Technology, “Cognitive control and value-based decision-making tasks appear to depend on different brain regions work within the prefrontal cortex.” (Making Choices: How Your Brain Decides). This shows that depending how you look at a situation influences how you make your decision, and how your brain is functioning at that given moment. According to the same article, if you are depressed, it might be harder for you to make an as valued decision contrary to being in a non-depressed state. Therefore, when making a decision, it is important to have a rational mind and healthy functioning brain.

After reviewing this study, as a teenager, I gave our generation “a pat on the back”. Job well done guys! I truly thought that the top reason for choosing a school overall would have been for its social reputation. UCLA listed that at number six on their list, and the factors that students chose over that make me proud. 63.8% of people are choosing a school based on its academic reputation, which infers that students want to “seem smart” when going off to college, and to do well. Proudly, I am attending the #47 ranked (tied with Lehigh University, Northeastern University, and the University of Florida ) school in the country! My college decision was based off of personal experiences, academic standing, and happiness. Because I was happy about my options, my brain allowed me to make a rational and valued decision about where I wanted to further my education. What was your decision based on?

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-rankings-blog/2013/01/31/freshmen-students-say-rankings-arent-key-factor-in-college-choice

http://www.heri.ucla.edu/pr-display.php?prQry=111

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/page+5

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/04/making-choices-how-your-brain-decides/

5 thoughts on “Influences of a College Decision

1. Courtney Michelle Walker

This is one of my favorite blog posts that I have read so far. I am the most indecisive person you will ever meet, but I knew 100% that I wanted to attend Penn State. I applied to about 10 schools as well just in case PSU didn’t workout. Thank god it did. Penn State has amazing academics and that is one reason to why it was my top choice. Also Penn State’s alumni program is excellent so we will not be stressed about getting a job in the future!

2. Jordan Charles Eisenstat

Very interesting post! I know that my decision to go to Penn State had a lot to do with comfort level. I have two Pitt alumni as parents, so it is safe to say I grew up in a Pitt household. However, when I visited Pitt’s campus, I just did not feel comfortable being on the campus, as it is in downtown Pittsburgh. When I visited Penn State, I especially liked how Penn State is it’s own little town and how every thing is together. In my opinion, the biggest thing that should go into one picking a college is their comfort level at the place.

3. kbd5161

I love this post! I think that it is so important to look into what makes us make our huge life decisions, and college specifically is so relevant to all of us. I’m not a Penn State legacy like you are, but I too knew that Penn State was the school I wanted to go to. I was constantly looking for a school that made me feel better and more at home than Penn State did, but I obviously never found it. I think it is so amazing how our brains make decisions based on what we think about and what we’ve known previously.

4. Brooke Rachel Fleischhacker

Great blog post, I loved how you started off with your personal experience about having to make a big decision, and then thinking deeper into it. I can definitely relate! Penn State has always been my number one school, but if I didn’t get in, I had no clue where I would go. I actually ended up applying to 19 schools, because like I said, I had no idea where I was headed if it couldn’t be Penn State. I needed variety to choose from. I’m happy we both got in and it worked out for us!

5. Stephanie Michelle Friedman

This blog post is one I can relate too. I also knew Penn State was the number one school I wanted to attend, so picking other schools to apply too was rough. In total I only applied to five because I honestly didn’t have a strong interest in others. Similarly to you I am a legacy to Penn State for many past generations, even though it skipped a couple. Ever since I came here when I was little to my final visits before accepting my offer I knew this place was home for me, which is number 5 on the list of how people make their decisions. it is interesting how we just make decisions and know they are the “right” ones. The brain is truly something that is beyond fascinating. I am also proud of the decision I made to attend here and also feel proud of our generation and our decision making skills when it comes to picking college decisions. We are!!