Watching the sunset can make you happier

I am a sucker for sunsets. Many times I have forced my friends, boyfriend, and parents to stop activities so I could take pictures of the sky on my phone. Unsurprisingly, many times I find myself sprinting to catch up with people or getting screamed at from car’s I got out of to stand in the middle of the street and take said pictures. But is there any benefit to watching the sunset, or am I simply just doing it for the insta?

Being “attuned” to the natural beauty of sunsets can improve a person’s emotional wellbeing, according to this study from the University of California at Berkley. Just being in the presence of something beautiful can make you feel better and more connected to yourself and your emotions. And not only will watching sunsets make you feel better emotionally, it’ll also help you be a better person to others. A similar study by the same researcher, Jia Wei Zhang, found that those same emotions that improve your personal wellbeing were also found to cause people to be more generous.

And if sunsets cause you to be in awe, watching them can help you slow down time and regain control of your day. Psychology Today also recommends listening to music, breaking out a sketchpad, or even meditating during the sunset to help improve your experience.

So everyone can make fun of me all they want, I will continue to shamelessly take sunsets pictures and get yelled at by everyone I hang out with.

taken by yours truly, standing on a roof 🙂

7 thoughts on “Watching the sunset can make you happier

1. Bailee Cooper

I can really relate to this topic. Watching the sunset helps me regain my focus, calm my nerves, and makes me think about the important things in life. Something about watching another day go by really puts life into perspective. Nowadays, everyone is so caught up in the moment on their phones, computers, watching TV, etc., we sometimes forget to stop and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds us. I’m happy that there has been some research done on the psychological effects of watching the sunset, and I think the benefits should be widely publicized.

2. Annamarie Rose Sassi

Hey Colleen,
    I definitely agree that watching sunsets improve one’s emotional wellbeing. I for one love nature, and I make it a point to spend time outside everyday. Weather I’m on a jog, walking my dog, sunbathing, or doing homework. I’ve found that watching the sun rise/ fall makes you feel one with nature. It separates us from our busy lives full of technology, human interaction, and daily duties. Therefore, I believe taking time out of one’s day to enjoy the beauty of nature is vital to one’s sanity in our busy lifestyles. However, I think you should spend more time actually enjoying sunsets then taking pictures of them to later upload to social media. I feel like beautiful moments are ruined when we cause commotion by trying to snap a picture. Why not just enjoy the landscapes of nature and store them in your photographic memory? Most importantly, the sun never ceases to rise and fall everyday! So luckily, the beauty were able to experience is not a rare occurrence that must be technology documented.

3. Dongyuan Li

Hi, I am Dongyuan Li. I have same hobby like you. I love watching sunsets. Actually, many of my friends like take pictures of sunsets. They often take pictures and put them on wechat or facebook. Some of them just simply like sky. I feel really comfortable when I looking at sky. It is so broad and can take everthing away from you. I think sky is just like a big sketchpad sunshine is color and wind is the painter. They paint one and another beautiful painting and never stop. Sometimes it is a really amazing thing to think about that and watch that. I love sky.

4. Bailee Nicole Koncar

Hi Colleen,
    I know so many people who stop to take pictures of the sunsets in my hometown and upload them to Snapchat, Instagram, and various other forms of social media. Of course, the people who upload them find a sense of beauty in them which is why they took a picture, but I never thought to look deeper into it. I completely understand how snapping a photo can benefit a person. He or she is taking several minutes out of the day to not think and just admire the view of nature and all of its beauty. I think this is very important. People are no longer thinking about the superficial things in life but the simple, natural ones. It can put a person’s mind at ease to just sit and watch. Maybe that is why it is considered to be so romantic and popular to watch the sunset on a date. It is a time to sit together peacefully and share in the beauty of nature with someone you care about. This most likely generates creativity so people may be prompted to draw as you mentioned. Super interesting!

5. Megan Brideau

I definitely agree that sunsets can make you feel better, but I think taking pictures might ruin the feelings. If you stop just to take pictures of it you’re not actually taking in the full experience of the sky. This article talks about a study done on how taking pictures can actually hinder memories. To me, if you are looking through a camera instead of looking at the beauty, you are completely missing the point. Nature is beautiful, but you never get the same feeling looking of at a picture of something verses seeing it in front of you. I really liked your sunset picture, but I didn’t feel anything when I looked at it. You might feel differently when you look at it because you were there taking the picture, but according to the previous article the photo taking might be changing that memory. Why do people take pictures? To see them again in a future setting or show them to others, but I don’t see how you can ever truly live in the moment if your always thinking about the future or other people.

6. Grace Mannix

You are not alone! I love walking over to the North side of campus (facing the Arboretum) – such a beautiful spot in the evening. There is definitely a connection between nature and well-being. There is a “top-rated, therapeutic wilderness program for a troubled teens” that exists in Utah called Redcliff Ascent. AND you may enjoy this hilariously satirical video about “talking to your doctor to see if Nature is right for you.”

7. Chane Jeter-Smith

I can definitely relate with obsessions with sunsets! I have many pictures on my phone of them near my house outside of Philadelphia. I consequently have yet to catch any pictures here at State College for I am either eating dinner or leaving a late night class. But I can definitely see a connection with the sunset and happiness. I am a HUGE picture taker of nature. Sunsets, beach waves, trees, night skies, rainy days, rainbows and birds. Literally, you name it, and its either in my phone gallery or Snapchat! I feel like it does personally make me happy. Nature is the most beautiful natural thing that MUST be caught on camera. My emotions instantly change when I see the sun setting from the day. Sunsets make me think that a beautiful day has past and another one is now about to begin. If people aren’t taking pictures of sunsets and becoming happy from it, they need to look at life through a different lens!