Winter Blues

Why is it that during the cold winter months some people tend to become depressed, even if during other parts of the year they may not be? Is it the cold weather? Or could it just be in one’s mind? During these few months out of the year the days get shorter, it gets darker earlier and the air becomes frigid. But is this really what causes depression, or is there more to it?

There are many reasons for someone to become depressed during the winter time and all of these are what causes someone to have seasonal affective disorder or SAD. The cold weather keeps people from going outside and for most of the day if you have the choice you usually keep yourself inside to keep warm. Now this may not sound like a big deal however, for someone who is used to being active most of the time stopping this can cause them to become depressed because according to CNN exercising lifts your spirits.

You CAN beat the winter blues with these 20 tips!

Staying indoors more often during the winter time also may cause some people to sleep more, but how is this a bad thing? Studies say that the average person sleeps about 7.5 hours during the summer, 8.5 during the fall and spring and 10 during the winter. Although most of us may think that even with 10 hours of sleep that seems to never be enough when in fact it is more than enough. Along with not enough sleep, too much sleep is a high factor in causing depression according to a study presented in the Huffington Post.

Other causes of winter depression can be a drop in your serotonin levels, isolating yourself along with many others. Both causes stated here are also caused by the lack of sunlight during the day because of daylight savings. It becomes harder to go places and to see friends especially if you live in a place known for their winter storms.

In conclusion, to answer my initial question, yes winter depression is a real thing but only affects a small percentage of the population and can be treated. If you are aware you have SAD try to take control of this and become proactive. Stay active as much as possible. This could mean joining a local gym or doing some exercises at home. Also keep yourself busy and surround yourself with friends and family as much as possible. Plan family outings, and schedule a weekly girl’s night or guy’s night if possible. Stick to a schedule. This means try to go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning and never convince yourself that you need more sleep, because more than likely you don’t and it will just hurt you. Lastly, don’t be afraid to reach out to loved ones for help or if you notice anyone acting unusual, especially during the colder months of the year, reach out to them and let them know you are there for them.

3 thoughts on “Winter Blues

1. Shannon G Mcclain

I agree that winter depression is a very real thing. The weather keeps us inside where we do everything possible to occupy ourselves until eventually there is nothing to do but sleep. As you said, shorter days add to this pattern. Our bodies are used to sleeping when it is dark despite the time of day. Some people just aren’t what you would call “winter people” and that is understandable, they just might be more prone to this form of depression unless they occupy their time well. I enjoyed your list of activities; after all, it’s only weather right? We shouldn’t let it affect us that much! Make the most of it.

2. Amy Rosenzweig

I’ve noticed myself that people’s moods tens to worsen during the winter. I have constantly felt that during the winter people are more lazy, not as positive, or proactive during their days. I think your post brings up a good point about exercise. It’s true the people would rather stay warm inside than go out and exercise, which could definitely affect someone’s mood. This post also had me wondering if winter makes people so sad, why are people so much happier in the summer?

3. Madeline Nicole Policastro

I never realized that there was actually such a thing as winter depression. I always felt myself becoming more isolated in the winter and less involved in activities and I always just assumed it was from the cold. It makes sense that lack of sunlight can affect someones mood! What an interesting study!