Body Modification and Risk-Taking

For decades, tattoos and body piercings have long been viewed by society as the markings of rebellious young people. However, in more recent years, body modifications such as these have become much more integrated into mainstream society. Nowadays, it is not uncommon for your teacher, your mom, or your doctor to have a tattoo or body piercing. What I want to know is this: is there actually any substantial evidence of a correlation between the acquisition of a tattoo or body piercing to a rebellious and nonconforming attitude? Or is this association simply a figment of the long-existing social prejudices against people who opt to undergo body modifications?

According to national survey of a randomized group consisting of 253 women and 247 men, 24% reported that they had a tattoos while 14% had body piercings. In recent years, as this article says, we have seen body alterations such as these become more mainstream (a fact that is corroborated by this journal).  Several studies have been done that explore the answer to the very question I am asking. For example, in this study, adolescents were given a survey that asked them about their eating habits, drug abuse history, and sexual behavior, as well as questions about tattoos and body piercings. The results found a correlation between having body alterations and having a tendency to engage in risky behavior. However, my problem with this study is that, because it is not a randomized controlled experiment, there could be a third (confounding) variable at play here that causes teens to alter their bodies and to engage in other risky behaviors. Such a variable could be, for instance, peer pressure from other adolescents, which could cause a teen to both get a tattoo or body piercing and engage in other risk-taking behaviors.

Another study looked more closely at the link between adolescent body modification and a tendency to abuse alcohol and drugs. The results found a correlation between having body modifications and a tendency to engage in substance abuse. However, like the last study, it is possible that there could be a third variable that is causing this correlation. For example, the participants of this study were patients at an urban adolescent health care clinic. The fact that these adolescents live in an urban area, and thus have more exposure to tattoo and piercing parlors, as well as to drugs and alcohol, could explain the correlation. Furthermore, this correlation might also be explained by reverse causation. For example, it is plausible that perhaps while someone is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they decide to get a tattoo or body piercing. It is for these reasons that we cannot definitively say that having body modifications necessarily causes one to engage in risk-taking behaviors.

In summary, though several studies have found a link between mainstream body modification (such as tattoos and body piercings), we cannot prove that getting a body piercing or tattoo causes someone to engage in risk-taking behaviors. There might be a third variable at play, or reverse causation could be creating this correlation. For now, I propose, we should follow the advice of the saying, “do not judge a book by its cover.” Let’s give our tattooed and pierced friends the benefit of the doubt and not make assumptions about them simply because of the choices they make with their own bodies.

6 thoughts on “Body Modification and Risk-Taking

1. Emma Kilyk Post author

The point about body modification being linked to specific cultures was an excellent point, so I decided to explore that more. This
    article presents some of the history of body modification in different cultural contexts, such as how nose piercing, for example, is associated with the religion of Hinduism. Similarly, lip piercing and earlobe stretching is popular among some cultures in Africa, and henna tattooing originated in Southeast Asia and the Middle East. In addition, more severe body modification took place in the form of foot binding in China and corset-wearing in Victorian England. Thus, it is clear to see that historically, body modification is found in many different cultures, and often carries great meaning with it. Thus, this correlation between body modification and culture contradicts the association between body modification and rebelliousness, seeing as, in many of these cultures, body modification is the norm, and even sometimes mandatory.

2. Emma Kilyk Post author

3. Sarah Jo Sokoloski

I personally have 8 piercings, 6 on my ears, 1 nose, and 1 belly button. I have (near) future plans for two tattoos and i personally love the way body modifications look. I see body mods as an art form and less of a risky behavior but I do see how it can be correlated to risk-taking behaviors. In some instances such as my own, body modifications are premeditated and thought through, where as I know other situations where they are spontaneous and more “risky”. I am curious as to what the correlation is between body modifications and being under the influence. I could not find any data on it but it could be an interesting take on this topic.

4. Bailee Cooper

I can really relate to this blog. I currently have 5 ear piercings, and since I recently turned 18 and my parents can’t stop me, I want to get more. I love how they look, and they make me feel unique. However, I would not consider myself to be someone to engage in risky behavior. Your conclusion seems accurate, considering individualism and people’s choices may not be influenced at all by risky behavior, but perhaps their personal preference.

5. Giana Shan Yu Han

I was really impressed with how you thoroughly analyzed the studies with a critical eye. You made a good point about the confounding variables, and your post reminded me of another I recently read that talked about risky behavior coinciding with the grey matter in the brain. I think it would be interesting to see how the amount of grey matter correlates with your study about body piercings and tattoos. While they would not prove that a theory is necessarily right, I think that a comparison might shed light on more connections. Finally, I agree with Briana’s comment about how tattoos and piercings can often be linked to culture which would create another confounding variable. Overall, I thought you did a good job with your critique of the studies.

6. Briana Michelle Wright

Good inclusion of the “risk-taking” quality that was brought up in class. Nice touch, although when talking about the variables, I think it would have been interesting to talk about certain cultures that get piercings as a part of their practice that’s a tradition for them to do, or frats getting tattoos as a way to show loyalty and brotherhood.