Keeping that Healthy Hair

Soap and shampoo is definitely a necessity in college, and really it’s a necessity anywhere. Keeping clean will benefit your hygiene and keep you smelling good, which does the people around you a favor. And although it is important to stay clean, there can be some not so desirable effects that come with all the shampoo we use.

Shampooing your hair is important, it keeps it clean, smelling good, and looking good. The common misconception is that you are cleaning your hair, which is not true. “The goal of shampooing is to cleanse the scalp and remove oil buildup on your hair.” (Paradi Mirmirani, MD, a staff dermatologist at the Permanente Medical Group in Vallejo, Calif) Shampoo contains detergents, which work as surfactants, an agent that lowers the surface tension of water. Essentially, these surfactants allow the detergent to bind with grime and an oil produced in the skin called sebum. Sebum is an extract from the sebaceous glands within the skin, and very much plays a large part of the healthiness of hair. The sebum reacts with the hair to lubricate and water proof it. When this sebum is swept away, the body compensates and produces even more, trying to make up for the loss. This produces an overload of oil in the hair and scalp. And nobody wants to walk around with oily, greasy hair.

The best way to avoid over shampooing and creating this greasy mess for yourself is to space out the amount of times you lather up the shampoo when showering. Although it may seems strange, washing your hair every 2-3 days is perfectly healthy. Keeping the natural oils in your hair will keep it healthier, and set you on the path for a long lasting and full head of hair. Just like this girl in this ad…

healthy hair

3 thoughts on “Keeping that Healthy Hair

1. Caitlyn Elizabeth Davis

Ever since I was younger I have had very thick and long hair. My hairdresser always told me that washing my hair was not healthy for me especially since I had so much hair. If I shower and wash my hair everyday I can see the difference if I wash it every other day. Don’t get me wrong I still shower everyday just not my hair.
    My best friend has thin hair and she washes her hair everyday and you can tell that it gets very oily. I tell her to try and not wash her hair everyday but she doesn’t believe me.
    I know that dirty hair tends to hold curls and even other types of hairstyles. I even know that people use dry shampoo and they say it works. But I haven’t tried it out yet.
    Here is a link that tells you specifically how often you should wash your hair based on three different things.

2. Kelly Elizabeth Bare

Having greasy hair has always been something that I have been scared of because I have always heard people say that if you wash your hair everyday it will make it more greasy. I always had a hard time believing this because it sounds so counter intuitive, but this post really helped clear it up for me. I wonder what the natural oil in our hair is made of, and why it is so “good” for us.

3. dya5181

Your topic was very needed because many people would argue that it Is important to wash you hair everyday because that is considered a lack of hygiene. However, it very true that it is better to wash your hair every other day in order to keep your hair healthy because the body produces these natural oil for a reason which carry benefits.