Why isn’t Astrology a Science?

Astrology is defined as the study that assumes and attempts to interpret the influence of the heavenly bodies on human affairs. That sounds a little crazy, but we all know a part of astrology called your horoscope. I have a lot of friends who read their horoscope daily but what you don’t know is there are a lot of different aspects that go into a horoscope, which sometimes isn’t all that acurate. The one you’re reading from an app may not be accurate or it can be just a small bit of what actually is going on in your life. I am arguing that astrology is a science because it is the study of our bodies on human affairs. The key word is study.

Astrology used to be paired with astronomy, the study of planets, Livescience.com argues that astrology is not a science because your zodiac sign corresponds to the position of the sun relative to constellations from 2,200 years ago. However, if you study astrology you would know

that everyone has three signs. Your sun sign, or zodiac sign, is based off of your birthday. The moon sign is your emotional sign and judges how you deal with situations. The ascendant sign  depends on the exact time you were born. This sign is perhaps the most important because it judges how you are perceived by other people. To get an accurate read for your horoscope, you need all three components. Not the “Daily Horoscope” from the back of a newspaper.

Astrology is widely debated as to whether or not it fits the criteria of a science but as you can see above it’s a lot more involved than it seems. There are people who spend years studying this art just like scientist research years for a particular study. However, no research exists on astrology being a science so it is not considered one. I think there is a chance that astrology could be considered a science if we can do the research.

One thought on “Why isn’t Astrology a Science?

1. Amy Rosenzweig

I think this topic is so interesting, I was actually considering blogging about it myself. Although the topic is interesting, I think it would’ve been beneficial for you to talk more about horoscopes. Some examples of that could be who is responsible for coming up with horoscopes, what are they based on, and how accurate are they. I think if you elaborated on those a little more it would be really effective, but otherwise I love this topic and how informative you were when you talked about how astrology originated.