Online dating: Does it actually work?

With the increase in technology, everyone is using online dating sites to try and find their significant other rather than meeting in person. Online dating sites have become so popular over the past couple years. This could be because people are having trouble meeting others, they don’t have time to go out, or they don’t know how to meet someone. However, meeting someone online is so risky. What if you are paired with someone that you don’t click with. That leads me to this, how do the online dating websites work and what is the process in pairing two people together.

One interesting thing about online dating is that they have sites for all types of people. Some different types of sites include sites for seniors, fitness oriented people, for people just looking for friends, and for all different types of religion. The online dating process works by making an account, adding a picture of yourself, filling out a profile of your interests, hobbies, likes, and dislikes. Then, somehow, the website will find someone else who also has an account on that dating website and match you guys based on how similar your likes and interests are. The more you guys have in common the higher “match percentage” you will have.

One website, OkCupid, says it all, “We use math to get you dates.” This website tries there best to find your “perfect match.” They use math, science, and compatibility. Yes, these websites find you someone you match perfectly with, but do the relationships last long term? The answer to that question is yes. One study that was performed interviewed 20,000 people who married betweenlogos.png 2005 and 2012. Out of the 20,000 people, just over one third had met their spouse online. Also, those marriages were 25 perfect more likely to last than those of couples who met the traditional way.

Another dating site uses the slogan “love is no coincidence.” This site goes to the extreme and test samples of people’s saliva in order to make the best DNA match. This seems a little intense and crazy, but if it works it works. People who use online dating sites have to take lots of surveys and test, such as a personality test. This is done to make sure the matchmakers know everything about the people they are matching.

Online dating is a risky but rewarding thing to do. After doing research, it seems that it works just as well, maybe a little better, than the traditional dating way. During online dating, you never know whom you are going to be matched with. It could be someone you don’t like at all or it could be your future husband. The matchmakers do everything they can to make sure they match you with someone you could really get along with. I am now a believer that online dating sites actually work.

3 thoughts on “Online dating: Does it actually work?

1. Victoria Atkinson Scott

Online dating is a crazy concept to me, but the results speak for themselves. I have good friends that swear by it and it tends to eliminate the people you aren’t interested in easily. In terms of safety, I think people must have their wits about them as always and not be naive. Do you think this could be the future of dating? check it out: http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/11623/future-online-dating-facebook/

2. Rebecca Danielle Schneider

This blog topic immediately intrigued me since I have no clue how online dating works! I always had the preconceived notion that people who participated in online dating would have trouble finding a match because people can be very different online versus how they are in person, but it’s nice to hear that these relationships last long term. You included good support that the sites have all different tests that match up people to the best of their ability and somewhat credit the success of the relationships. I am now more convinced that love is possible to find online. Here’s a link on the top five online dating sites

3. Millie Rachel Dweck

I found your blog extremely interesting! I think its so interesting that mostly all humans crave a sense of compatibility. They have dating websites for all types of people because everyone wants to find a connection. Another thing I find interesting about online dating is the slogans the websites use to draw people in. In the example you used “love is no coincidence”, the website persuades people that they are the best by testing DNA samples, but can DNA samples really tell if two people are compatable?