Black Don’t Crack

Some of you may be familiar with the colloquial term: “black don’t crack”, and what it means is that basically black people retain their physical youth longer than most. Now, this is just a saying but is there any scientific truth to this statement? I’m sure plenty of us have encountered men and women of color and have been surprised when learning their age; I know I have. After doing some research I’ve come to learn that there is genetic truth as to why some black people appear to be a lot younger than they are.

Kate Pickles article for “Mailonline” focuses on a dermatology study orchestrated by a Harvard professor, Dr.Alexander Kimble, and her findings. After testing about one million people, dermatologists came across what they called a “young gene”. What the gene does is, “fit into seven categories that affect areas such as DNA repair and the performance of the skin’s barrier against damaging environmental factors”. It makes subjects look about ten years younger than they actually are. The results showed that the “young gene” was possessed by about 10 percent of the white subjects and 20 percent of the black ones. 

There has been other publications on this interesting study; one being a video on thenewaspect.com, titled ” ,Harvard University Says Black People Have Youth Gene” here. The video mentions how the medical school at Harvard and the Dr. Alexander Kimble were looking for a genetic recipe for youthful skin when they made the discovery. This is not to say that all old, black people look young and its impossible for other races to have this gene. This is just to publicize the science behind a commonly used colloquialism. You never know, ten years from now you may realize that you, in fact, have the gene.

(Below is my grandmother Sheilah Wright (age 66), my great aunt Beverley Johnson (age 60), and my great grandmother Gloria Johnson. (age 85)

This picture was taken at the book release of my aunt Beverley Johnson by my mother

These pictures were taken at the book release of my aunt Beverley Johnson by my mother

aunty bev

One thought on “Black Don’t Crack

1. Kristen Lauren Mckenzie

I never knew there was scientifical reasoning to the saying “black don’t crack”, my mom use to say it to me all time. When my great grandma passed away she looked about 65 when in reality she was just about to turn 94. I wonder why more black people have this gene then white people? Why can’t everyone look 10 years younger? I wonder if sciencist have ever thought about these questions. This was a very interesting blog and you grandma, great aunt and great grandma look great by the way:)