Is There a Good Alternative to Coffee?

College students endure a vicious cycle of late nights and early mornings and require a little boost to look alive in their early classes. Naturally, many people turn to coffee. Sometimes people will consume multiple cups a day. Now some after their fourth cup might realize what they’re doing and think to themselves, “wow I really need to cut back.” They’ll try, but then they ake up the next morning and struggle to get out of bed. Many people want to cut back on their coffee intake because they don’t want increased blood pressure or too feel so jittery. Hoever, everyone wants to be able to function in the morning after a long night. The good news is there is an alternative for coffee drinkers who want to live a healthier lifestyle: green tea.

Green tea is one of the healthiest drinks on the planet. It contains various nutrients and antioxidants that improve one’s health, such as Epigallocatechin Gallate. EG is a polyphenol that is used as a dietary supplement to treat disease. Drinking green tea can lower one’s risk for many diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and Type II diabetes because it reduces blood sugar levels. It also lowers your chances of obesity because it increases metabolic rate, thus increasing fat burning. The herbal beverage also stimulates and protects your brain. Since green tea contains caffeine, it increases brain function and mood like coffee. However, green tea contains less caffeine than coffee, causing one to not feel jittery but still produces a stimulating affect. It also improves brain function because it contains L-theanine, an amino acid which increases the activity of neurotransmitters even more than caffeine and lowers anxiety levels. Since green tea improves brain function, it protects it long term, preventing it from degenerating brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. Green tea is so beneficial to one’s health, it even protects from some types of cancer, such as breast and prostate cancer, because of its antioxidants.

Not only does green tea benefit one’s health in multiple ways, but it also ust tastes great. If you’re a coffee drinker and want to feel less jittery in the morning and improve your health, this beverage might be the change you need.

Unknown-2

7 thoughts on “Is There a Good Alternative to Coffee?

1. Kylie Dachowski Post author

I found no downsides to drinking it, and I’ve looked into that because I drink it everyday. Of course too much of something is always bad, and I do get stomachaches if I drink more than two cups a day. And basically what makes it better than coffee is all the information I listed. Coffee doesn’t have any of those health benefits, except for the brain stimulation. Not to mention it also stains your teeth and makes you jittery!

2. Kylie Dachowski Post author

Other teas have a lot of great benefits to drinking, green tea just has the most! I’ve looked into brands that have more caffeine because I drink it everyday and I found that the Bigelow brand wakes me up more.

3. Millie Rachel Dweck

I have always herd that green tea was good for you, but now I actually know why! I love my cup of coffee in the morning, but I am not opposed to switching to green tea! The only downside is the amount of caffeine that is in green tea. I wonder if they make the product with a stronger amount of caffeine in it. Also, why is it just green tea that is used as a substitution to coffee? What about other types of teas? I think its really interesting to see the two in juxtaposition!

4. Jennifer Lee Wales

This was a very interesting article to me because I can really relate. I don’t even love the taste of coffee but I drink it out of necessity. I don’t enjoy the jittery feeling it gives off nor do I like how it stains teeth. I’m definitely going to give green tea a try!

5. Rebecca Danielle Schneider

This blog post really interested me as I am an avid coffee drinker and sometimes get nervous about the amount of coffee I’m consuming! I’ve never had green tea before but it sounds like something I should definitely try! After reading about your facts on green tea, I have become very curious about it! Are there any downsides to drinking it? What makes it better for you compared to coffee? After learning about green tea, I found some information on other teas that are healthy for the body, that you might enjoy learning about!

6. Kelly McDonnell

This article caught my eye right away. I’m not a big coffee drinker, but when I do, along with waking me up, it makes me extremely jittery and I don’t feel myself. It’s really interesting that green tea is such a good alternative because I’ve never thought of getting green tea, or tea in general. The only times I usually drink tea is with a sore throat in an attempt to make myself feel a little better. The information provided in the article is really cool and I’m happy you wrote about this. I’m definitely going to give green tea a try in the future!

7. Michael E Rosenthal

I was also a victim of being in the cycle of wanting to ease off my coffee drinking but would always end up going back to it. I started drinking green tea by the end of my senior year and it was absolutely life changing. I’m glad there is an actual scientific explanation for why that is.