Is Twin Telepathy Real?

Many of us know a set of twins, are a twin, or have always wanted to be a twin. I have always thought it would be fun to be a twin mostly because of the twin telepathy myth that I saw in television shows or movies when I was younger. So is twin telepathy real?

Identical Twins come from one zygote that then splits into two separate embryos, but they do not have the same DNA as each other.  Because identical twins come from the same egg, some researchers believe that they also have the same brain waves which contributes to the idea of telepathy.

What is twin telepathy? It can be defined as, “being able to assess the thoughts or feelings of another twin without the other twin giving them any signs.”

Although this phenomenon can happen in fraternal twins, it is much more popular among identical twins. According to Slaughter, “Out of identical twins, thirty to forty percent are likely to experience telepathy.” Telepathy is most commonly reported when one twin is in a life or death situation and the other one has a
sense that there is something wrong.

For example one account of twin telepathy is, “While shopping, a man in Texas was forced to sit down due to a stabbing pain in his chest. He later learned that his twin brother in New York was having a heart attack at the same time.” Pure coincidence or is there a greater psychological phenomenon occurring? Another instance where twins came forward with an experience of twin telepathy was, “Two male twins had different areas of interest: one played soccer and the other took guitar less
ons. After a few months, however, the soccer-playing twin could play the guitar nearly as well as his brother without ever having taken a lesson. A study of the boys also said that they had had “limited interaction” with each other during the time they were pursuing these interests.” Some people consider these events
happening between twins as enough to claim that this is real even without scientific evidence.

There is no science that completely supports the idea of twin telepathy, but there are many personal stories between sets of twins which leads some people to believe that it is a real thing.

5 thoughts on “Is Twin Telepathy Real?

1. Daniel Liam Cavanaugh

This was an interesting topic to discuss. I don’t believe in twin telepathy but I think that both twins in many cases will have very similar mental reactions to the same event.

2. sjb5895

I have older twin brothers, and they would always play pranks on me saying that they had twin telepathy. I am relieved for you to inform me that scientifically, there is no such thing as twin telepathy. But those personal stories always keep me guessing. Kind of like when an animal knows that a storm is about to come, maybe there is a sixth sense for twin telepathy.

3. Jennifer Lee Wales

This post was so interesting to me because I have a twin sister! We are fraternal and always used to tell people that we had twin telepathy. We would say that we could answer their question at the same time saying the same thing. Truthfully, we had just agreed to always answer whatever her opinion was to the question.

4. Alana Marie D'agnese

I have a twin brother! At first people ask if we’re identical, which is crazy to me because obviously we’re not identical since he’s boy. Then they ask about twin telepathy. Personally I don’t think either of us have really experienced. Obviously I know the way he is going to react to certain things because I’ve lived with him for eighteen years. Most people could do the same with their siblings. I will admit thought that having a twin is different from having a sibling. I am much closer with him than I am with my little sister. We are complete opposites but he balances me out.

5. Alana Marie D'agnese