What Does Doodling Do To You?

Recently in class we’ve discussed the possible learning consequences of multi-tasking from reliable studies conclusions’.  For instance, that “texting in class costs you a grade”.  Or even the use of computers in class to take notes (which is evidently a big no no in this class).  I took a look across the class, not too many unnecessary phones out, not one computer…  Everyone is just writing away.  Besides the person sitting next to me, doodling instead.  Either this person is bored out of their mind, or they’re still somehow attentively listening?  What does the multitasking effect of doodling have on our cognitive performance?

Many of us don’t assume doodling to be anything more than mindless drawing done to pass by time, lectures, meetings, phone calls, you name it.  However, those who do it come no where close to wondering if it impairs or aids their concentration.  Their too busy doodling, right?  Wrong.  According to Jackie Andrade’s first experimental test’s study, she accepted her null hypothesis that “doodling aids concentration”.  Despite the fact that the participants weren’t randomly chosen, they were randomly assigned to their respective control or doodling group where they were all asked to recall information from a telephone message.  Therefore, multiple confounding variables appeared to be effective.  The form of the doodling task itself was restricted to “shape-shading” which would’ve taken away some “degree of abstent-mindness” from actually doodling.  In some cases it would seem unclear to assume doodling effected their ability to notice “target names” or memorize and process directly the message as a whole.  Future mechanisms of doodling on concentration could  be “help keeping people awake or reducing the high levels of autonomic arousal often associated with boredom”.  Even further questioning its effectiveness on daydreaming as another confounding variable considered in this study.

Given that practically every K-12 student has doodled sometime during school, a further done study aimed to find its similar impact is Vick Faye’s.  He used “qualitative and quantitative methods” from “two hundred and eighty one students and eighteen teachers” who, like many others, viewed doodling as a distraction and discouragement.  Nonetheless, the results of “the academic and artistic learning of K-12 students” came to conclude “it can increase focus and memory retention”.  While it’s important to note that these are only K-12 students, it could very much apply to our cognitive habits as we grow older.  Those same positive outcomes in a classroom could correlate to those drawn out lectures, meetings, phone calls, etc.

The very well known, Sigmund Freud, believed that “the scribbles were a window into the subconscious”.  The on going thought that doodles could actually be “read” has little scientific evidence to back it up, yet still a mind-blowing idea.  What if all those doodles were actually telling your preoccupied mind’s story?  I guess it’s just something to think about, but it’d certainly make an interesting find for future studies.

Now, according to these studies (and many future to come), we can see what doodling does.  We shouldn’t be “too quick to label it as frivolous” when to many it’s second nature.  Whether it prevents the mind from wandering, ease memorization, or aid concentration, it’s all worthwhile.  Long story short, keep on doodling!

15 thoughts on “What Does Doodling Do To You?

1. Giana Shan Yu Han

I always doodled until I reached an age where I had to take notes furiously just to keep up with the class. When I did doodle, however, it never seemed to have a negative effect on my grades. I also had many types of doodling. There were the random shapes and patterns, actual drawings, or just scribbling in different shades. Is it possible that different types of doodling has different effects? Could more complex drawings distract more than aid your concentration? If you’re drawing something completely off topic rather than making your notes look more interesting, would there be a difference? It is certainly a fascinating topic to think about!

2. Maxim Cenziper Myers

I’ve noticed I’ve been gravitating towards blog posts that I can relate to and this is DEFINITELY one of them. I found myself fascinated with some of the studies you posted such as doodling is drawing out what our subconscious is truly thinking! I’m not sure about this, but in my own experience, I tend to focus a lot better WHEN I’m doodling. I find that with other ticks like tapping my foot, or tapping my pen, doodling calms me and makes me feel at ease and therefore helps me to not only learn, but retain the information a lot better. Very cool stuff! Thanks for the post, Julie!

3. Rachael Moyer

I am somebody who always doodles in my classes, and it is very interesting to see that this could actually be helping me in the long run. I have heard this theory before, but I have never looked into it. It states that it can increase focus and memory retention, and I have never noticed a substantial increase in these things when I doodle, but maybe I do it subconciously. Despite this, sometimes doodling is the only thing keeping me awake in class, so it is helpful in that aspect. As far as I am concerned I am going to keep doodling, and hopefully it is helping me.

4. ngf5020

This article was great! You did an awesome job on researching and making it relatable. I remember back in elementary school, my friend told me that her sister would doodle during the oral portions of her exams and she actually did better. I tried this out and it worked for me too! Crazy how the mind can concentrate more when we are doodling than actually taking notes.

5. Devon Amber Macdougall

I am so happy to have learned that doodling isn’t a bad thing, particularly because I am guilty of being the biggest doodler in the world during class. There is no such thing as a blank margin in my notebook, every single one is covered with bubble letters, flowers, and any other random shape you could think of.

After doing a little further research about doodling I ultimately found that doodling, in contrast, requires very few executive resources but just enough cognitive effort to keep you from daydreaming. Doodling essentially forces your brain to expend just enough energy to stop it from daydreaming but not so much that you don’t pay attention.

This is super fascinating to me because I had always just assumed that doodling was a bad thing. I wish I could show this post to all of my grade school teachers and say “I told you so!!”

Great post, keep calm and doodle on!! 🙂

6. Devon Amber Macdougall

Great post, keep calm and doodle on!! 🙂

7. Devon Amber Macdougall

Great post, keep calm and doodle on!! 🙂

8. Devon Amber Macdougall

Great post, keep calm and doodle on!! 🙂

9. Devon Amber Macdougall

Great post, keep calm and doodle on!! 🙂

10. Devon Amber Macdougall

Great post, keep calm and doodle on!! 🙂

11. Alana Marie D'agnese

I constantly doodle while I’m doing work, especially during lecture classes. I’ve learned that drawing swirls is proven to help concentration and relax you. It’s a form of therapeutic art. When I’m not doodling I tend to zone out and the lecture turns to white noise so I don’t retain any of it. But, when I doodle it helps me concentrate and keep up with what the professor is saying. So I agree with your conclusion that doodling helps!

12. Alana Marie D'agnese

13. odh5019

As a doodler I personally related to this blog. I find that it occupies the part of my mind that would naturally wander to different topics, so that I can focus on the professor. Doodling helps me focus, but I think this is not true for everyone and doodling can result in a student’s failure to absorb any information. I think that every persons mind is different so it’d be impossible to know for sure how doodling affects learning ability.

14. sjb5895

I am definitely a doodler, so when I read on your article that doodling can actually increase focus and memory retention, I was very pleased. I always doodle in class, but like you said, it’s not distracting. I can still listen to the professor while still tracing the lines on my paper. It is frustrating when professors write off doodling as distracting and unprofessional, because it really is harmless.

15. sjb5895