77°F = Productivity

Every employer wants to get the most out of their employees, saving both time and money as production increases. Each year employers spend a lot of effort into finding the best environment to make the most out of their biggest asset; the employee. One of the factors that many people may not even realize is the temperature. Research has shown productivity correlates with the temperature of the office for workers. If true, this could save companies over harming their production over a few degrees.

The prominent study on the affect of temperature and productivity was done by Cornell. I was also able to find the exact information and results directly from Cornell. It is known that they used keyboarding as the measure of productivity and measured said productivity at different office temperatures. The setting of the study was at an insurance office. Researchers found that the optimal room temperature is 77 degrees. They also tested for the productivity lost over certain increments of temperature changes. For example, if the room temperature was 68 degrees, they found productivity dropped 44 percent. If proven, the results  from the temperature drop could have a huge impact on companies.

I think that the research clearly has no proof of this concept or as to why their theories on the exact temperature are correct. In this scenario the X variable is the temperature where as the Y variable is the productivity. I think if could be very easy for a third variable Z to come into play. One of the possible variable is the season and time of year. The season could increase productivity by making workers happier, and chance the temperature through climate, for example. Also, I think that the productivity due to temperature is very subjective to the study. I work better in a colder environment and dislike warmer classrooms. I would be curious to know if this theory also translates to classroom temperature as well as an office.

Overall, there is not any proof of a causal relationship between temperature and productivity. However, if the study was done well we could assume the theory could be true. In actually implementing a change or regulation for office temperature there would need to be possibly a larger study measuring productivity across more jobs and offices and show more data.

5 thoughts on “77°F = Productivity

1. Analeigh Joy Crisanti

I found this study to be extremely interesting before I even got to the bulk of what you wrote. The title caught my attention because the thought of 77 degrees doesn’t make me think of anything productive. Personally, I feel that is much too high of a temperature to do good work in and like you, I prefer a cold classroom over a hot one. You brought up a good point about other variables coming into play, such as season. Those would be really interesting to look at because at this point, just due to personal opinion, I don’t see how this could be a successful environment for people to work in.

2. Analeigh Joy Crisanti

3. Nicolas Lau

I find this blog to be intriguing. Personally, I feel that 77 degrees is slightly too hot. Do you think that 77 degrees could be due to pure chance? Other variables that I can think of on the top of my head are seasons. Productivity can most definitely change from winter to spring. Another variable can also be
    LIGHTING

4. lmm6078

No wonder I like going to work at my summer camp job. Warm weather makes me happier, and when your workers are happy, productivity will definitely increase.