Does cracking fingers really harm you?

When I was a child my mother often told me that cracking my knuckles is bad and would eventually lead to arthritis. In this blog entry I will try to dispel this myth. Why my mother was wrong?

There are two hypotheses to explain the crunch in joints. The first suggests that when joint capsule is stretched, its volume increases, and the pressure, on the contrary, decreases. Because of this, the joint fluid flows, and gas bubbles are formed. These bubbles burst with a characteristic sound. According to the second hypothesis, the crunch occurs while movement of the fast-tensioned tendons and ligaments. When the capsule, tendons and ligaments are stretched, the joint becomes more mobile, and person feels comfortable. Well, or someone just likes the sound of cracking.

There was no evidence found by the scientists that cracking fingers is harmful.  Several research groups have tried to find out whether the habit of crunching the joints leads to arthritis. No scientist has found conclusive evidence that stretching finger lovers expose their bones to diseases. However, in 1990, Jorge Castellanos and David Axelrod admitted that regular habit of crunching leads to slight dysfunction of hand.  For example knuckle cracking lovers had swellings and weaker hand squeezing.  Nevertheless, it is possible that Castellanos and Axelrod simply confused the findings of the causes and consequences: perhaps crunch and problems with hands are caused by the joint pathology.

Overall, if your joints are healthy, you can crack your knuckles without any risks.

Citations:

Kuzayev, Marat. “Cracking Fingers Myth.” Look At Me. N.p., 28 Dec. 2014. Web. 18 Sept. 2015. <http://www.lookatme.ru/mag/live/wrong-beliefs/210629-misconception-knuckles>.

6 thoughts on “Does cracking fingers really harm you?

1. Sam Mark Harman

I crack my knuckles as well as other joints quite often throughout the day. Its good to hear that it is not that bad for you

2. Allie

I crack all of my joints mostly, but I crack my knuckles all the time! it is good to hear that this isn’t really causing me much harm, because I always kind of wondered.

3. Thomas Curran

The amount of times I was told the exact same thing you were when I was young is insane. I never really believed the people who said that because cracking my knuckles made me feel better so I would do it anyways. I would love to research studies that actually talked to older people who cracked their knuckles all their life and see if they ended up with arthritis. It would definitely be helpful to see actual statistics and determine conclusions from them.

4. clh5719

Wow would love to have had this developed more. I also too have many questions. But mainly you have allowed me to feel relief. I not only crack my fingers, but my toes and back. so hopefully your post goes in correlation to other parts of the body.

5. Mitchell Seth Korzen

This is honestly a relief to me. I crack my knuckles everyday and always wondered what the harm was. At this point my fingers just feel tight if I don’t. Could their be any possible correlation between the arthritis and cracking? Or do you think it is completely separate issues. I feel there may be a correlation but possibly less than what the majority of people think.

6. Alexandra D Hayward

This is great! Now I too can finally tell my mom that cracking my knuckles isn’t that bad of a thing! Really happy that it can now be justified in my mind!