Does Playing a Sport Improve Grades?

All throughout high school, I was able to play three varsity sports. Not only was this difficult, rigorous and physically demanding, but playing sports taught me life lessons, time management, and helped me stay on schedule as a student. We were very good in all three sports, winning league titles countless times, competed at states, and even won a national championship. I wanted to see what the correlation between grades and sports really was!

A study done by our very own, Penn State University, and the University of South Carolina studied data and tested 9,700 high school students whether or not they played a sport. While studying kids ages 14 to 18, they found that the students who played a sport and had extracurricular physical activities had better grades and test scores. Matthew Irving, an academic from University of South Carolina who was involved in these studies said, “Team sport is significantly related to higher grade-point averages and a higher likelihood of completing high school and enrolling in college.’ The correlation between good grades and sports is consistently proving that is it a beneficial activity for a student. There was a study recently done by the Los Angeles Unified School District that provided crucial evidence for every school in the nation or any doubters out there. There was a strong correlation between a student’s participation in school sports and the results of good grades, higher test scores, and overall performance in the classroom. Eric Sondheimer, the reporter for this study said, “According to the study, the 35,000 student athletes in LAUSD attended an average of 21 more days of school per year than their counterparts, while they also sported GPAs some 0.55 to 0.74 points higher than non-athletes.” Athletic funding can sometimes be an issue for some school districts throughout the country, however, I believe this is a paramount necessity in a child’s development. It not only prevents childhood or teenage obesity, but it teaches the student discipline, team work and grit among countless others.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2330445/Why-team-sports-really-improve-grades-Link-self-esteem-better-performance-classroom.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/prep-rally/study-shows-school-sports-improve-grades-while-more-221934443.html

14 thoughts on “Does Playing a Sport Improve Grades?

1. Jonathan Solimano

I really liked this post and found it very interesting. I played golf in high school, and this really taught me time management as we were a highly competitive team. I think it is very beneficial to have something on top of all the school work. Being around friends doing something you enjoy gives off positive vibes which will help you in the work environment after your sport is over. That is why I think finding a hobby you enjoy is very important to being a successful student.

2. mcm5844

I love your post! I also played three varsity sports throughout high school. And although at many times this proved to be a trying task, having to stick to a strict schedule encouraged me to get my work done in a timely fashion. Having multiple focuses structured my day so I had to plan the week according to make sure I was getting my work done, especially at my school when we had 7 classes a day with the majority assigning work every night. I never noticed the strong correlation that sports and academics shared, but reading your post I realize that some of the smartest people I knew in high school were fellow athletes. More sports, better grades? who knew!

3. mcm5844

I loved your post! I also played three varsity sports throughout high school. And although at many times this proved to be a trying task, having to stick to a strict schedule encouraged me to get my work done in a timely fashion. Having multiple focuses structured my day so I had to plan the week according to make sure I was getting my work done, especially at my school when we had 7 classes a day with the majority assigning work every night. I never noticed the strong correlation that sports and academics shared, but reading your post I realize that some of the smartest people I knew in high school were fellow athletes. More sports, better grades? who knew!

4. Elizabeth Sweitzer

I completely agree with this post. I found that playing sports did indeed help me with time management and forcing me to get my work done more timely to keep my grades up and stay eligible. I also agree with the attendance part because I found myself missing less school because of having to be in school on game days or for special events, forcing me to go to class. I actually had to quit my sports due to surgery and found myself not getting as much work done because I had so much time to do everything and I actually procrastinated even more. Very interesting post!

5. Jessica M Lee

I also was a three season athlete throughout high school and I know that I worked hard to be on top of my school work so that I was able to participate in athletics. I never would have thought that there was a correlation between good grades and athletics. My younger brother used to do gymnastics for the Temple Boy’s Gymnastics team and the most of the gymnasts on the Men’s Gymnastics Team (when they had one) were consistently making the Dean’s List but I didn’t pay attention to the importance of it. Now I am more aware and realize the dedication they put into schoolwork and their athletics.

6. Jessica M Lee

7. Eric Horowitz

Sort of following the trend on this post, i played varsity soccer and volleyball during high school. I did do well enough to get myself into Penn State but the level of effort and difficulty that being involved in sports was exhausting. It is nice to see the whole jocks being dumb thing is being put to rest here since not all athletes are dumb. Great job on the study very interesting

8. Jessica Nicole Greenhut

Wow the statistics you have definitely did not correlate with my life, but it is very interesting! I used to play tennis in high school and I always found that during tennis season my grades were lower because it consumed so much of my time, I did not have a lot of free time for homework and studying. Every person is different though, and I think it is awesome that you found a study by Penn State! Thanks for sharing!

9. Analeigh Joy Crisanti

I found this to be extremely true for me as well. I was a three sport athlete in high school which meant missing school wasn’t really an option. There was either practice or a game every afternoon or evening. And while it is happening, you have no idea at the moment but you are forced to manage your time extremely well. I know that when I am left with too much free time, it is wasted. But sports don’t allow that to occur. Sports and playing in games in general is just a great initiative for attendance and on time attendance.

10. Allie

Throughout high school, I played varsity soccer and was a part of a competitive cheerleading team, and I definitely believe that because of these sports, although I was exhausted 24/7, I still felt like I learned more through participating in sports, than those who did not. I think that the things learned through sports, such as hard work and dedication, followed me from the field, to the classroom. I agree with your blog, and supporting articles; it is a very interesting topic!

11. Daniel Joseph Depaulo

I had heard this theory somewhere but it is nice to see the actual study that was done. Sports in high school force kids to budget their time well and stay on schedule. It also forces them to get their work done in a timely manor. In high school I always thought I would raise my GPA during the winter when I wasn’t playing a sport, but this was never the case and I was always just lucky to maintain the same GPA I had earned in the fall. Playing sports can have huge benefits on kids in high school.

12. Lauren Dattilo

All throughout high school I played sports for all three season, I and would always find that my grades would dip and lower in the off-seasons. I think it’s all about time management, because when you have sports practice after school, you are motivated to finish your homework faster. One source I found added that team sports, specifically, have a positive correlation with better grades.

13. Yu-ting Chien

Wow!! Those figures you found really surprised me. I studies in a local school in China when I was in the middle school. The teachers did not allow students to play sports sometimes. They thought it was a waste of time and it would be better to use that time studying in the classroom. Many boys in my classroom was blamed for playing basketball. But honestly, I have never think about the correlation between grades and doing sports. It’s an interesting topic! By the way, the video is also attractive. Here is a study of the correlation and there are some figures there. You might be interested checking it.

14. David Jonathan Correll

I also played sports in high school and it made me realize how much more serious I took school during the specific seasons. You are mandated to keep a certain average to play the sport while you are more serious about attending school so you can go to practices and games. It all depends on the person though, not everyone can figure out time management to handle both.