Evolution

Evolution has always been a big debate between science and the Church.  The Church believes that man came from God creating man and woman is his own image.  Science argues that man or humans came from monkeys in Africa evolving into what would eventually become a human.  Most scientists currently recognize some 15 to 20 different species of early humans.

2 million to 1.8 million years ago, early humans left Africa and migrated into Asia.  Then 1.5 to 1 million years ago moved into Europe.  It took more modern humans more time to get to many parts of the world.  For example humans only got to Australia within the last 60,000 years.  The first civilizations rose within the past 12,000 years.

Humans like us today are relatively young to the world.  Evolution has caused us to adapted to our environment over time which has made us into humans.  There is proof we evolved from primates because skeletons and skulls have been found which show in between stages of primates evolving into humans over time.

Today we can still see that we share most of our DNA with primates besides a small percent.  Since primates are not too different from us this shows why they are pretty smart and can understand complex things.  This makes me wonder if humans will continue to evolve over time since we have in the past or are we stagnant and staying the way we are.  I think no matter what humans will change a little because the environment of earth will continue to change causing humans to adapt in the future.

Sources

http://humanorigins.si.edu/education/intro-human-evolution

http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/overview-of-hominin-evolution-89010983

3 thoughts on “Evolution

1. Thomas Curran

Evolution really is a very widely debated topic because of the fact that many people believe in some sort of god-like figure. The similarities between humans and primates have been proven to exist, but it may be possible for a third variable to play a role in this evolution process. It is crazy to think about how humans will evolve in the future. If the conclusions of evolution are consistent, humans will absolutely evolve at some point or another. I’m sure there are already scientists trying to predict the ways humans will evolve and when this will happen, which is very interesting!

2. Grace K Hayba

You bring up an excellent point in your article on evolution. Humans have evolved drastically since we were first primates, but it is interesting to ponder if we will continue to evolve. Obviously small things about us such as hair color and skin type may alter, but our makeup as a whole could eventually change as well. When I was in elementary school, my science teacher said once that redheads may become extinct later in my lifetime. However, an article I found about red hair shows the gene will not die out anytime soon, and should still be evident as far away as 2060.