eyebrow threading

As an 18 year old female, I am surrounded by many trends and fads. Some are completely overwhelming and utterly awful, but one has actually turned my life around for the better. And, what exactly could this be you ask? Well of course it is the one thing that can either boost a girls confidence or, if gone wrong, can ruin her life for 3-6 weeks: eyebrows.

When I was a 13 year old middle schooler, I began to wax my eyebrows. But, before I get further into that, here is some background info. I am 50% Italian and 50% Portuguese. You’re probably wondering why this has absolutely anything to do with my blog but I promise you, there is a point. Because of my combination of nationalities, I am very tan, always. So, when I went to get my eyebrows done, the wax literally ripped the tan off of my face. I kid you not, there were white outlines around  and in between my brows where the wax had been placed. It was THE most embarrassing thing ever. Thankfully, it was summer, so I was still able to catch some rays and fix the mess.

To my saving grace, threading came along about three years ago. You may be asking, what even is threading? Well, as defined by ibrowboutique.com, “A threading expert takes a thin cotton thread and twists it into a double strand, which then is swept along the skin. With rhythmic – almost hypnotic – movement, the unwanted hairs are secured in the thread and lifted from the follicle with precision and finesse.” You can learn more about the history of eyebrows themselves here. For me, threading is painless. At first, it was irritating and because the thread is reaching way down into your follicle, your nerves are often rattled. This causes a slight tearing in the eyes, not due to pain, but just out of the bodies natural reaction to the motion. Threading is truly quick and easy, a process that rarely exceeds ten minutes. Because the esthetician pulls the hair from the root, hair takes longer to grow back, which is beneficial for the client financially and time wise. Threading has become a great health option for those who have sensitive skin or suffer from acne, because it does not cause any type of reaction to wax. It is all natural and does not burn or itch the skin.

Threading has become a beneficial and positive addition to health as well as the environment. Professionals usually take a month to work through one spool of thread, while waxing requires electricity, tongue depressants and an immense amount of linen strips.

imgres-1

One thought on “eyebrow threading

1. Grace K Hayba

I really enjoyed reading about your topic because it isn’t something I would think I normally would come across on a science blog (another reason why I love this class). It is interesting that you brought up economic and environmental benefits to choosing to thread over waxing as that is both true and an alternate perspective I would not have thought to use if I were writing this blog. Great blog and thank you for reminding me I need to make an appointment and get my brows done!