Is The Freshman 15 Real?

Before heading off to college, students are warned of the Freshman 15– the infamous 15 lbs. that students are supposedly going to gain by the end of their first year. Entering college and being completely independent is a nice feeling, but can poor eating choices really lead to the Freshman 15?

Not necessarily.

According to The Huffington Post, while students are likely to gain weight during their first year away at college, the rumors might be a bit drastic, with students gaining around an average of 5 lbs rather than 15. In fact, a study done at Ohio State University found that, “Less than ten percent of the freshmen gained 15 pounds (or more), and a full quarter of the students actually lost weight in their first year.”

In fact, the bigger risk that students face from the hype surrounding the Freshman 15 is more mental than physical. Putting pressure on students to watch what they eat can be more harmful than helpful, as students are put at a greatest risk of increased anxiety levels and even the possibility of developing eating disorders.

Therefore, it is important to remember not to constantly berate new students with this idea of the Freshman 15; they will make the right decisions for themselves, they just need the time to realize how to do that.

4 thoughts on “Is The Freshman 15 Real?

1. Stephanie Michelle Friedman

I think this is a really interesting topic considering it is something I am honestly worried about. I think to help prevent it dining services should do their best at making healthy options and dishing out portion sizes, which is done nicely on our campus. Although the food is horrible in East Halls, I can tell they do their best to give us healthy options and the right size portions. Also with stress of college and busy schedules some kids may eat less, or more depending on the type of person they are. I personally eat less and go to the gym when I feel stressed, maybe if people found healthy alternatives or even just walk to class it could benefit them. I truly hope the freshman fifteen is a myth because it is truly a huge fear I have.

2. Emma Kilyk

Interesting topic! Exploring this a little further, I looked at a study done in which 49 freshman at a small college had to fill out questionnaires regarding their health and their weights during the beginning and end of their freshman year. The results that were found is that there was no significant weight gain between the beginning and end of the year. What was found, however, is that those participants who believed the myth of the dreaded “Freshman 15” actually appeared to have a lower body image than other students and tended to think of themselves as being overweight. Thus, the results of this study show are consistent with the hypothesis that the Freshman 15 is a myth, and also reveal that it emotionally affects those who believe it to be true!

3. Rasul

i think student at college are more likely to loose weight, due to the hard schedule. Most of us sometimes skip breakfast, because of early classes. In addition i think that gaining weight, at freshman age is not likely, as while young, metabolism rate is too fast.

4. Rasul