What Is A Hiccup?

Do you ever eat really fast and automatically hiccup and kind of look around to see if anyone heard? I hate hiccups. I find hiccups painful, embarrassing, and inappropriate, but you can’t help it! I always wondered why you can’t help hiccupping and how to get rid of them? But most importantly what even is a hiccup?

The part of your body to blame for the annoying hiccups is your diaphragm. The diaphragm is a “dome-shaped muscle at the bottom of your chest, and all hiccups start there.” The diaphragm most of the times works accurately. When you inhale, the diaphragm pulls air into your lungs and when you exhale, the diaphragm relaxes and air goes out of the lungs back through your nose and our mouth. However that is not always the case, sometimes the diaphragm becomes irritated. When the diaphragm is irritated it pulls down in a “jerky way” and makes you suck the air into your throat. The air then rushes to you voice box and your vocal cords close, which leaves you with a big hiccup.

Eating too much, too quickly, irritation in the stomach, throat, feeling nervous, or excited are all things that irritate the diaphragm. A normal case of the hiccups should last only a few minuets however there are rare cases where the hiccups will last for a few days and even a few months. However, that is very rare and should be treated.

You have probably tried many different techniques on how to get rid of hiccups, comment some of your techniques. I’ve tried drinking 10 really fast sips of water, drawing an elephant in my head, and sitting upside down. Some people have tried holding their breath and counting to 10 which is one way that “works.” My favorite one of all time is when someone scares you when you’re not expecting it, known as “scaring the hiccups right out of you.” This video goes into more details on how to essentially get rid of the hiccups.

Sources: linklink 2

2 thoughts on “What Is A Hiccup?

1. Shannon Rose Beam

I hiccup all the time. Yet, while reading your blog I learned that a normal hiccup should only last a few minutes. I think it’s crazy that some lasted a few months, that would annoy me so much. I’ve also tried drinking water really fast. My dad is convinced that is the best way to get rid of hiccups. I found this article about a man from Tenessee that hiccuped who twenty-seven years, http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tennessee-man-hiccups-27-years-won-guinness-book-world-records-article-1.1101753.

2. lmm6078

I seriously hate hiccups. Whenever I get them, they don’t go away for at least 45 minutes. I try to hold my breath and everything, but for some reason my annoying diaphragm stays irritated.