The Curious Case of Acne

Yet as much as we all hate to admit it, we have searched on Google “ways to get rid of acne fast” or “why do I get acne.” We have all had the wonderful experience of acne during our teenage years and some into their adult years. Having acne can be embarrassing, painful and annoying. You just try to cover it up with whatever makeup you have or using medication. But you still can’t find a treatment that actually gets rid of it. So why is it that some get more acne than others, why do we get acne and what are some methods that you can get rid of acne?

https://www.wikinedia.com/wiki/health-fitness/acne/

To begin with, there are two types of acne: the bad kind that leaves scars and are annoying, and the good kind which makes your face look better. Acne affects 80% of the population, so not that many people can hide from the pimply complexion.  Huiying Li of the David Geffen School of Medicine conducted a study on 100 people, half with acne and half clear-skinned. According to Li, there is a certain bacteria called “P. acnes lurks deep in skin pores, sometimes irritating the body’s immune system to cause inflammation and the resulting red bumps we call pimples,”(LiveScience). In the study, researchers found 66 strains in the genome, but narrowed it down to 2 strains that affected ⅕ of every pimpled-person and did not show up as much in the clear-skinned people. But there was one strain most common in the clear-skinned people and not the acne people. Dr. Noah Craft, a dermatologist, deduced that there must be a “natural defense mechanism” that attacks and destroys acne bacteria before it enters the body and causes acne. Scientists think that making more creams that have good P acnes in it will help get rid of acne. But there is yet to be one created. LiveScience. Although there is not specifically clear data to why some people get more acne than others, there are few possibilities. One of the biggest reasons that people get acne is due to hormones called androgens that occur in both sexes during puberty. The androgen produces a lot of oil and sebum which causes more acne. Genetics also plays a small role if your parents had a lot of acne then you are more likely to get acne. People that wear a lot of oil-based makeup can also contract more acne and also some medications can cause more acne.WebMD.

Now that we know why we get acne, we can figure out how to effectively get rid of it. There are many non-prescription medications that contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide and sulfur. There are also prescription drugs for a stronger reaction which includes benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, tretinoin, tazarotene, adapalene, dapsone, and azelaic acid. WebMD. There are also non-medicated ways to get rid of acne which are pretty simple. First off, we know that acne is caused by oil and bacteria. So when looking for a face wash, go for a oil-free based face wash and make-up. To avoid using your hands to wash your face, find a facial brush from Olay or L’oreal. Even one of your household items can be used like toothpaste to put on zits. Cosmopolitan. Here are some tips that you can use when preventing acne:

• Don’t pick at your pimples, they will cause scars.
  • Keep a daily routine for your skin care
  • Don’t sleep with makeup on
  • Wash makeup brushes in soapy water once a week
  • Use salicylic acid based concealers
  • Wash your pillowcases
  • Shower after anything that makes you sweat Prevent Acne

Whether you were born with healthy skin or pimply skin, it is always a good ideas to follow these prevention tips and to stay on top of acne. Good Luck!

One thought on “The Curious Case of Acne

1. kbd5161

Allison, I loved this post! I feel like everyone has an awkward and horrible encounter with acne at least once in their lifetime, (or if you’re like me, you’re still struggling with it!)
    As long as I can remember, I have struggled with acne. I have found that I mostly get bursts of acne whenever I exercise a lot, or if I’m menstruating due to my hormones increasing. Usually my small outbursts can be treated by just washing my face a lot, for example I will use Neutrogena two to three times a day and that usually helps me a lot. However in extreme cases, my sister and I have found ProActiv to work very well, but it sometimes can be bad for people who have sensitive skin. Here is the link to ProActiv, in case anyone wants to look into it, and it also offers more ideas on how to deal with acne.
    http://www.proactiv.com/