I will do it tomorrow, because I am LAZY

I don’t know about others of you, but this is my second post of this period and I believe that
there are more people who is now still working on the first one. In the past few weeks, I have always set a goal for myself to finish two posts this week to make myself taking a rest
in the future. But the reality is that, it becomes hard and almost impossible for me, because of the laziness. And this is always the case for me when I am facing the choice of going to the gym or not. And sometimes, I will find a excuse for myself such as, “I will go tomorrow” or “My muscles are sour, I and I cant work out.” Laziness is playing a very big role on my life and I am now trying to figure out if laziness is actually a diseases and how it will affect other people.

The first cause I believe and Professor Frank Booth and post-doctoral fellow Michael Roberts from the University of Missouri have found out about laziness is that it is a genetic trait passed from the older generations. And it may cause some groups of people be lazier than others. They used the rats to conduct an experiment by letting the most active rat bred with the most active rat, and at the same time, let the laziest ones bred with each other. They found out the level of laziness by letting the rats to sun on the wheel. And after ten generations of breeding, the result is still “the line of noble Olympian runner-rats chose to run on their wheels 10 times more than the lounger-rats did.” They compared the muscle structure and the genetic characteristics in the rats body to conduct the conclusion of laziness may be cause genetically. Even the genetic traits partially affect the laziness in some way, but when I saw the people working in the gym and staying on the coach, I considered it more as a choice one makes. Being healthy or not is a personally choice, and laziness should not affect a person if the resolution of one is strong.

However this may lead to a question of if laziness can be spread and “infect” other people or their friends. I found out an observation that Blakemore, a professor who conducts study in UCL in London. She claims that when some teenage girls knows about the harm of smoking cigarettes, they will still start to smoke with people already smoked because of the idea  of “adaptive behavior” because of the idea that a person will willing to be involved or belong to a group. And one of the way to be involved is to do the same thing as them. And in my opinion, it also relates to the spreading of the laziness to others. I always found out, when four people are in the same dorm with a good relationship, there are higher possibilities for the people going to gym everyday be assimilated by the other three who plays video games everyday. And it may also be the opposite when three of them goes to gym everyday. It may also conclude in the laziness of a person is also connected to the people around and the environment.

According to an article from Psychology Today, claims that laziness can be a result of fear and hopeless. It mentions that “Some people fear success, or do not have enough self-esteem to feel comfortable with success, and laziness is a way of sabotaging themselves.” In other words, in order to be not lazy, one of the requirement is to have confidence and to think things in a positive way and motivates one to do what they wants to do.

2 thoughts on “I will do it tomorrow, because I am LAZY

1. Samantha Elizabeth Schmitt

I don’t want to be negative but what did your blog find and conclude? I thought the most interesting part of your post was the rat study, but how could this be applied to humans? We talk in class about animal studies are good because we can control them (we can force rats to breed together and can’t force lazy and unlazy humans to breed with each other), but I think it would’ve added validity to your argument if you included drawing a human analysis to the rat study. Your second study was an interesting connection to laziness. I do agree that “peer pressure” and peer behaviors can affect people, and this can also correlate with laziness. Your last paragraph includes how people are lazy out of “fear”. How do you think this could be changed and made relevant to your blog post? While I realize this website isn’t very scientific, I do hope it can personally help you overcome your laziness and finish your blog posts! 🙂

2. clh5719

Hey you have a line that says, “My muscles are sour…,” I believe you meant to say “sore”? Other than that this post is great. I myself am working on my second as well. I believe you can still develop this concept? Like what about the idea that maybe if their was some kind of incentive would the mouses not be as lazy? and if we are correlating this study to the acts of humans then, maybe humans work harder if their is a reasonable incentive for the amount of work they have to do? I believe if a “lazy” mouse had to do minimal work to achieve cheese it would. yet if us student have to do a lot of work to achieve a not so guaranteed grade A, do we not find our efforts necessary? Or are we not even attempting because we have inherited this “lazy” gene.