Does the weather affect our mood?

It’s happens to all of us and its only going to get worse with the temperature dropping day by day and the months going from October to January quickly that is how the weather affects or mood, or does it? If it’s pouring out one day all we all want to do is stay in bed all day watching Netflix and never want to see the outdoors even if last night we didn’t mind thinking about getting out of bed. However, because we saw the rain the next morning we instantly have no motivation to get out of bed. Why is this?

girl-in-the-rain

Picture this your on a beach in the Caribbean the sun is shining but not too much you feel a slight warm breeze with the ocean waves riding in laying on a lounge chair. Who could possibly be in a bad mood in that moment? If anything one’s mood has went up from that.

According to Denissen in 2008 he found that weather has a low impact on increasing someone’s mood it has a greater impact on decreasing someone’s mood by weather that is cloudy, or filled with rain and extreme heat. On this website there wasn’t much information about a certain study or proving this statement. If I conducted the study I would have included written evidence on why this happens and some kind of proof using different participants. The research also states that your mood defines where you live and the regular weather that occurs. This is almost obvious that if one lives in San Diego and it rains it will decrease their mood because people are not used to it. I think this information makes a lot of sense and doesn’t give new evidence that the audience wouldn’t know already. I believe all of these facts are self-explanatory to the result that weather can or can not affect one’s mood it has different impacts depending on where you are geographically or your personality psychologically.

weather-clip-art-weather_symbols_clip_art_17459

3 thoughts on “Does the weather affect our mood?

1. Hailey Tully

You should mention SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons. Most people with SAD, start in the fall and continue into the winter months, but there are few people that experience the opposite and SAD causes depression in the spring or early summer.

Some Symptoms for Winter/Fall SAD are:

“-Irritability
    -Tiredness or low energy
    -Problems getting along with other people
    -Hypersensitivity to rejection
    -Heavy, “leaden” feeling in the arms or legs
    -Oversleeping
    -Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
    -Weight gain”

Symptoms of Spring and Summer SAD:

“-Depression
    -Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
    -Weight loss
    -Poor appetite
    -Agitation or anxiety”

“Treatment for SAD may include light therapy (phototherapy), psychotherapy and medications.”

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20021047

2. Jenna Snyder

I agree that the weather does effect a persons mood. Days where it is cloudy and cold, I have no motivation to do anything. Where as, when I wake up and it looks beautiful out, I am more willing to put on a nice outfit and be productive outdoors. In the other comment the girl said that she suffers from seasonal depression and then when I was searching for more information on this topic I found out that our mood changing depending on seasons is an actual thing called Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD. Below is a site that gives more insight on what the disorder is. This topic makes you wonder how many people have this disorder and do not realize it and whether it is linked to any other depression related disorders.
    http://psychcentral.com/lib/10-things-you-dont-know-about-seasonal-affective-disorder/2/

3. Alana Marie D'agnese

Weather definitely affects a person’s mood and I can speak from experience, since I suffer from seasonal depression. I found a study to support your conclusion. An observational study was conducted with 62 university students living in Illinois. They had to record their feelings in their journals for each season. The results showed that they were more stressed on days when the weather was unstable and humid. They were happier when the sky was sunny and clear. The study also shows that “psychologically troubled” people are more affected by the weather. This makes sense though because mentally unstable people are easily swayed.