Are they… marshmallows? cotton balls? NO their COTTON BALL BATS

img_703920_44628300_01

These little creatures (formally known as Ectophylla Alba) are from Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica ,and western Panama, and their known as Cotton Ball bats. They are also categorized as “near threatened” which means that either extinction or endangerment of extinction is in their near future (sad… sad news). I don’t know about you all , but I am not too fond of bats. However these little critters are adorable. They are only about 4-5 cm long... this is where you all say “awwwwww”. Their nose and ears are yellow , and their fuzzy all over … completely different from the image usually associated with bats. Similarly, to the stereotypical bat their nocturnal , which I know does not come as a surprise being as though their from the same “bat” family. When it comes to food these little buddies LOVE them some fruit and vegetables (or other plants… whatever works for you)

Now , how in their world do these little fuzzy wuzzys stay away from predators? Their fur is white , their nose and ears are yellow , so they obviously can’t stay in dark caves , or tree holes ! They would be snatched up so easily because their white fur would be visible in the dark. Don’t worry not only are these little fellas cute but their also very resourceful. To keep predators at bay they build themselves a little tent out of  the giant green leaves of a Heliconia plant. They do this by cutting the side veins of the plant, this causes the leaves to collapse inward, and WA LA a beautiful tent to keep them hidden. This wonderful talent they posses has also coined them the name “The white tent bat”(I think cotton ball bat , is more suitable…). Just to put their side into perspective A WHOLE colony ( about a dozen) of these bats can live on this one set of leaves … peep the picture below…

Honduran-white-bats-roosting-under-Heliconia-leaf

They are really itty bitty.. The reason they are protected by these leaves has a lot to do with their white fur. When the sun shines through the plant it gives these cotton ball creatures a green appearance which allows them to blend in , and not be seen.  As I mentioned before a dozen of them usually live together on that plant.. and the majority of them are female cotton ball bats. There is usually one male and several female bats until they reproduce ( this usually occurs in the spring) then the male leaves the nest.

I hope this post give you a different perspective on bats… not all of them are dark and scary!

Here is a video of these cuties…

One thought on “Are they… marshmallows? cotton balls? NO their COTTON BALL BATS