Do you have a Sweet Tooth?

It is very easy for me to admit that I have a constant sweet tooth whether it be sugary drinks, pastries, or candy. If I see something sweet and filled with sugar, I’m going to get it. This issue has led me to experience many disappointing trips to the dentist. However, it has left me to question how did I first develop this sweet tooth and can I eventually leave it behind me? I also wondered whether or not this need for sugar will bring me any benefit as it has already brought me many negatives such as cavities. These questions led me to conduct some research which led me to a number of different articles and studies regarding why some people have a sweet tooth and others don’t.

The first major question is why do some people have a strong sweet tooth and other have no desire to consume sweets at all. A recent study from Monell and the QIMR Berghofer Research Institute questioned if this differing mindset comes from genes. In order to test this hypothesis a study was published which tested 243 identical twins, 452 fraternal twins and 511 unpaired individuals. Each person tasted then rated the intensity of four sweet solutions (fructose, glucose, aspartame, and neothesperide dihydrochalcone). By using twins, researchers were able to determine the influence that genes play on perception of sweets. This is because identical twins have identical genes and fraternal twins share about half of their genes.

The results of this study were that genetic factors make up about 30 percent of person to person variance in sweet taste perception. This result is rather weak in regard to linking genetic markups to perceptions of taste. Therefore, it can be ruled out that genes have anything to do with whether or not an individual develops a sweet tooth. Another question that can now be asked is if this sense of taste comes from what children are eating at a young age. This study was summarized by Today who also mentioned that similarly to how some people have a poor sense of sound. Some people have a poor sense of taste and need a little extra sugar. However, the article concluded again with their findings that a sweet tooth comes from nature and not nurture. Another possible detection for individuals with a sweet tooth could be through blood tests. Researchers hope that in the future these blood tests will become part of clinical testings. This is because it would help the detection of this sense of taste and possibly reduce obesity rates in young children.

sweets

I believe that although this experiment does not fall victim to the Texas sharpshooter problem, it should follow this path. Science has been unable to determine the true origin of a sweet tooth, but it has yet to test other confounding variables. In order to improve this experiment it could test individuals who consumed high amounts of sugar at childhood and individuals who have not. In doing so, the determination can then be made as to whether or not childhood plays a role in this perception.

Another question that I asked was whether or not there can be any benefits in having a strong sweet tooth. I already know that it brings me many cavities but can there be any positive results? A study as North Dakota State University asked the question “Does consuming high amounts of sweets make an individual sweeter?” This link with having a positive personality and consuming a high amount of sugar seems to be a feasible hypothesis. The study found that individuals who opted for sweet food (Chocolate) were more likely to help another person in need than individuals who chose a cracker or no food at all. This means that people with a sweet tooth likely have a more agreeable personality. This positive conclusion appears to be true in our culture but researchers said it could vary based upon other cultures. If this conclusion is found to be incorrect it would result in a false positive of the original finding.

In another study to further understand individuals need for sugar, science turned to the hummingbird. The question was do hummingbirds taste sugar or are they simply attracted to the calories found in nectar. The experiment consisted of placing hummingbird feeders containing plain water and water with different artificial sweeteners. The hummingbirds rejected the water and all article sweeteners except one used in toothpaste. The new question remained as to why the birds were attracted to the one sweetener? To answer this the researchers turned to their understanding of taste to learn that the hummingbirds had evolved their way to taste sugar.

In conclusion, there is extensive research that still must be performed in order to further understand the development of a sweet tooth. Scientists have been unable to determine the actual cause of this perception of taste but there is still much more research that can be conducted in order to edge closer to an understanding. One piece of information that has been found is that generally, people with a sweet tooth have a more agreeable and upbeat personality. I for one know that I certainly have a sweet tooth and would have to agree that I typically have a positive outlook on most situations. It is through anecdotes like this that I find myself rather proud to admit that I will take a doughnut over an apple any day.

2 thoughts on “Do you have a Sweet Tooth?

1. jvn5243

I am one to admit I’d rather have dessert, or anything sweet rather than a meal any day. It’s so interesting to me because I never knew there were studies about an actual sweet tooth, I always thought it was just a phrase people used to describe someone who likes sweets. I also like how you incorporated vocabulary from class such as false negative and Texas sharpshooter problem. After reading this blog, I do understand why the development of a sweet tooth would still be in question. However, I agree with this study because there is enough positive evidence to believe that is true and the evidence is from reliable sources. This was an interesting and resourceful blog!

2. Rebecca Danielle Schneider

I was immediately drawn to your blog from the picture, and because I have a sweet tooth as well! The study you chose on twins was very interesting and I also liked how you applied the Texas sharpshooter problem to your blog topic. I am a little more curious about the that study though: how old were the twins being tested/could that have anything to do with it? As for the North Dakota study, it would be nice to hear more about how exactly it correlates to a positive personality. I really want to know what other confounding variables could be connected to this sweet tooth mystery! Here’s an article I found that claims children’s development is a cause for why kids crave sugar because they are still growing. Nice job, by the way!