Can jogging really help one to lose weight?

In the rising of the awareness of the healthy issues, keeping the body in shape and in condition has been drawn attentions. Jogging is a typical way to lose weight in most of people’s mind. However, the feedback and results of the jogging are questionable. Many people can lose a certain amount of the weight through jogging at the first time, then it is not as effective as what it was. The question is raised in here, can jogging really help one to lose weight? or is jogging a effective exercise to lose weight?fat-heart

“My body just can’t lose weight”, this is the words from a trainer, Sarah, she continued, “If you knew how hard I’ve been working, you’d understand. You’d know I wasn’t making excuses.” She is one of the victims of putting so much efforts on losing weight but failed to get what she deserved. Then, once she contact the specialist of the training, and adjusted the way she works out. She starts to get some good feedback, and the weights are coming off, based on the research “seven pounds in one month”. She understood the cardio was the reason to hold her back in previous time, and she is just a single case of misunderstood the concept of jogging and losing weight.

Based on the research on WEIGHT-LOSS STRATEGIES, there are some reasons that why running can’t be an effective method to lose weight in long term. One of those is that, the body is capable of adjusting the intensity of the training, so doing the same amount of working out can only be less and less effective. The body will act more and more effortless to the training which one is doing again and again. For instance, if one is running 30 minutes per day and keeps it for a month. The body will burn so much fat at the beginning, and then the body will adjust the intensity of this training and “the metabolism literally learns and reacts so that fewer calories are burned with the same exercise output.” However, one can vary the exercise by trying different things instead of just running. For instance, the weight lifting can break the muscle cell tissues and “cause mini-micro tears to be repaired.” The process of repairing requires the calories that from the food and from the fat. In other words, a intense and specialized muscle training can cause more fats to be burned, and it has better results than just do jogging alone. coach-jogging-410

The  Journal of the American Medical Association had a study of the exercise habits of more than 34,000 women. They found the result of doing moderate exercise (walking at 3mph) at least an hour a day to maintain weight, for these women. And it’s even not lose the weight, but maintain the weight. It means the efforts they put on jogging will not directly cause the weight loss, which is not satisfying their goal.

However, jogging is a exercise that can’t be totally denied. It still benefits a lot to our health and strengthen our body. No doubts the jogging has many benefits, and even though it’s not the most effective exercise for losing weight, it’s still the most popular physical activity. Here are some benefits that have been found on the research.

• help to build strong bones, as it is a weight bearing exercise
  • strengthen muscles
  • improve cardiovascular fitness
  • burn plenty of kilojoules
  • help maintain a healthy weight.

In conclusion, the jogging is a good exercise to do in the gym, but not the most effective exercise to lose the weight and burn the fat. Only to do the exercise in various ways, and combine the aerobics with anaerobic, so we can have the most effective training to lose the weight. A good advice to those who wants to get in shape but only stays on treadmill, “please try something else, and you will be surprised about the changes of your weight.”

Citation:

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/5-reasons-running-may-not-help-you-lose-weight

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20501331,00.html

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/running_and_jogging

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss

2 thoughts on “Can jogging really help one to lose weight?

1. Rory McGowan

Do you think that science could be utilized to prescribe a certain regime of exercise for an individual to maximize their health and the benefits they contrive from exercise? It is a bit vague to merely suggest general diversification. I believe that directed diversification, however, could lead to a more beneficial outcome for certain individuals.

2. elb5372

To begin, the picture is extremely humorous that you opened with. I think that jogging is a very effective way that one an lose weight. All throughout my weight-cutting lifestyle during the wrestling season I found that jogging was the most effective way to lose this weight. However, strength training burns more calories, in less time, than jogging can. This is something that I learned in my nutrition class that I took in the past summer. This blog post was one that caught my attention and that I think is relevant in college. Watch out for the “Freshman 15!”