Is milk bad for you?

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 4.27.47 PM

Ever since I’ve been going to the doctor’s office, since I was little, my pediatrician would always encourage me to “drink your milk”. It will “help you grow” I heard a copious amount of times. Guess what, I haven’t grown since the 8th grade. Hopefully I still have a chance to obtain that 6 foot feat of mine, however, what this situation really has me pondering is, is milk actually good for you?  Or better yet, can it actually be bad for you?  Why are we constantly told to consume milk? Well, according to the Dairy Education board, along with various other sources, milk is a “deadly poison”.

One of the most prevalent claims made against consuming milk is that it “contains cancer causing hormones”. However, although there are aspects of milk that are considered harmful to our body, there are also beneficial aspects such as helping us grow muscle faster, as well as consuming milk “2 to 3 times a day lowers the likelihood of both a heartattack and stroke”.

Well, in fact, milk actually “depletes the calcium from your bones”. This process takes place when the calcium is carried out of the bones. When the calcium “leaves the bones, it exits our bodies when we urine, thus causing an actual calcium discrepancy.”  Well, regardless of what people tell me, I can assure you one thing, I’m still going to consume milk daily.  It may be a myth that milk helps you grow, and it also may be a myth that milk is good for your bones, but I have not heard a single doctor that I have had say “Julian, milk isn’t good for you, you should stop drinking it” have you?  Also, I like the taste of it.

3 thoughts on “Is milk bad for you?

1. Stacy E Smerbeck

I find the part about cancer very interesting. Whenever I drank/still drink milk I never had any tumors. Did they test the theory about cancer before it was made a claim. If so how many people were used and what kind of milk did everyone drink. This sounds like a false Positive: when you think milk is causing cancer but it’s actually not.

2. Mackenzie Jo Pardi

I find this article very interesting. I’ve always loved milk and drank it on a regular basis growing up. But I feel as though science always has pros and cons to everything . If mike really does contain cancer causing hormones then what are we doing about and how can we test it to prove this theory? It seems this theory is resulting from the file drawer issue. Their may have been findings but they’re not good enough to provide enough evidence to back it up. I also noticed your article lacks in explaining if all milk contains cancer causing hormones. In my opinion that would make a huge difference and I would be curious of the findings. I always drink skim milk but how does that compare to 2% or whole milk? Does all milk have the same amount of cancer causing hormones?

3. mcm5844

I think this is argument is a good example of how risk can be evaluated. There have been studies reviewing both the pros and cons of milk, and without a concrete conclusion of either side it is up to the person drinking the milk to make their own decision. This means we evaluate the risk: milk may contain cancer causing hormones, but if it improves bone health and helps you grow is it worth it? By comparing the relative risk of milk increasing risk of cancer to the relative risk on not drinking milk slowing our growth, we may find a better answer, on a personal level at least.