Firewalking

When I think of walking on coals, or “firewalking” as it’s formally called, I think of something silly like Criss Angel or that scene from The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. However, it is quite opposite. Firewalking is a practice that has been sourced back to 1200 BCE: Iron Age India. Prior to even knowing the proper name for such a practice, firewalking has always been an enigma to me, or at least up until the past few hours until I started to research the physics behind it. Surprisingly, it’s not as painful as it’s made out to be in the media or how it’s depicted spiritually.

Basically, the process starts off with the individual soaking their feet in water. Any moisture on their feet will then evaporate and form a layer of gas beneath their feat. They do this because it takes 4.18 Joules to raise the temperature of 1 cc of water to 1 degree C. Comparatively, the coals beneath your feet have a much lower heat capacity than the water on our feet and the water within our feet. UCLA physicists explained it as “…the same amount of energy flowing away from the coals will lower their temperature much more than that same energy flowing to the feet will raise the foot’s temperature. If the foot stays in contact with the coals, energy will keep flowing until they both reach the same temperature. However, this takes time, and how much depends on the heat conductivity. There are good heat conductors, like water, and poor conductors/heat insulators, such as ash. The feet cool down the local area of the coals they touch, and it takes time for energy to flow from the rest of the fire to the cool spot…Water is a good heat conductor and energy transferred to the foot is rapidly conducted away from the contact points so the temperature doesn’t rise to the burning point.”

I know that sounds kind of confusing, it sounds confusing to me too.

Essentially, the main way heat is transmitted to your foot from the coals is through conduction. Our feet are poor conductors. When we walk across the hot coals, the time spent touching the coals with your bare feet is too brief for any permanent burning to occur.

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with super cool will power mustered up by Jackie Chan, however, state of mind is still very vital. State of mind allows you to make that first step, and without that first step you are nowhere near walking on hot coals.

5 thoughts on “Firewalking

1. Kendra Hepler

The thing that amazes me about the whole “firewalking” phenomenon is that people are attracted to the thrill of it, but it’s literally just everyday science. Wikipedia says, “[Firewalking] is often used as a rite of passage, as a test of an individual’s strength and courage, or in religion as a test of one’s faith,” but actually it has little to do with beliefs, and everything to do with modern physics. The fact that people can walk on hot coals and not get (badly) burned can explained in confidence through science, but many still believe there is a spiritual aspect to it. Just something to ponder.

2. Siyuan Yang

Your post really makes me think. Coal walking is a really interesting thing to analyze its underlying scientific reasons. In China we use coal to make BBQ, because coal is a poor conductor transfer heat slow and even, which makes sure that the meat will not scorch in a short time. The same thing happens in coal walking. In the walking process, the touching time on each coal is too short to transfer heat enough to burn our skin. You may watch this video to see further information. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7FahK7DO4&w=640&h=360%5D

3. Julian Nelson Smith

When you read an article, and are greeted with the subject of “firewalking”, you know it’s going to be good. I would have never heard of firewalking prior to reading this, nor would I be inclined to read anything on it. Here is a funny video I found of people dressed in bright yellow robes, and who are firewalking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2GOZhWueM

4. sjl5595

I find your blog quite interesting. I searched for fire walking before on the internet and was concerned why they did not get hurt while your blog explains the reason behind. Although the water created when people are walking on fire protects them from burning, unconsciously mental remind makes people fear of fire walking. It makes me wonders if the power of mental is stronger that actual physical pain but I do not make any researches yet. But this blog is great over roll!

5. Courtney L Rodrigues

First of all, I love your GIF. Secondly, this article is awesome. I’ve literally never even heard of firewalking before, so you inspired me to research it. Here is a link from PITT that relates your topic to physics. This allowed me to see firewalking from a different scientific perspective! http://www.pitt.edu/~dwilley/Fire/FireTxt/fire.html