The Power of Carrots!..or not

Growing up there were very few vegetables that I actually enjoyed to eat. However, one vegetable that I would always eat was carrots. Partly because I liked their taste but also because my mom would always say that eating all my carrots would improve my eyesight. This theory was especially appealing to me as a young kid because I’ve always had poor eyesight and I used to hate wearing my glasses. Although I did not realize  at the time that simply eating carrots would not cure my horrendous vision that did not stop me from eating all the carrots on my plate. To this day I still usually eat all my carrots but I have never taken the time to actually look into this interesting topic…until now.

7856a3abf696042483bb3ee3ee49c189

The first interesting piece of information that i found was that this idea stemmed from World War II when the British Air Force said their pilots ate a lot of carrots to help them see their enemies at night. However, it wasn’t the carrots but rather their radar systems. Anyway, carrots do contain a chemical compound called beta-carotene which can contribute to improved health in eye sight. When the body consumes beta-carotene it converts it into vitamin A which is then turned into retinol. The retinol can then be found in the eyes inside vision cells. Although it appears to be a stretch that carrots improve eyesight, they do contribute slightly. This is because that beta-carotene is overall good for eye health.

Another study from HealthDay News agreed that carrots can play a role in assisting eyesight. This study claims that pigments called carotenoids are found in carrots which help give it its orange color. These carotenoids can then help “ward off” age associated vision ailments otherwise known as macular degeneration. This macular degeneration is the most common causes of vision loss especially for the elderly.

According to an article on Scientific America, a study found once again the beta carotene found in carrots can assist in vision. In addition to this finding the question was asked as to how many carrots would need to be eaten to make a difference. One 2005 study found that eating about 4.5 ounces of cooked carrots six days a week would stack up enough vitamin A to address night blindness in pregnant women. However, for most people the number of carrots consumed would vary based upon their current vision.

In order to offer a counter argument regarding carrots and their vision healing powers, another study found that they are not as effective as one would think. This study was also summarized in the article on Scientific America and it explained that once the body has enough beta-carotene, it would stop converting it to vitamin A. This research also found that beta-carotene does not convert into vitamin A very efficiently. Scientists found that from 12-21 molecules of beta-carotene, would only make one molecule of vitamin A.

carrot-nutrition-facts

In conclusion, there is a plethora of evidence supporting the fact that carrots can improve vision. However, it is not to the degree that one would imagine, in that it they will only make minor improvements. As an individual however, these studies are convincing enough for me to include a bit more carrots in my day to day diet. Although there is also studies suggesting that the reasoning behind the improvements of carrots are so minimal that it will not matter. Regardless it is still food for thought and hopefully you will continue to eat ALL your vegetables.

2 thoughts on “The Power of Carrots!..or not

1. Victoria Chelsea Bushman

My dad always use to advocate this fact to my mom, my sisters, and myself due to the fact we all had poor vision (even though mind you we all enjoy our carrots). He had 20/20 and was always claiming it was from all the carrots he ate. I was never sure if he was truly being serious or not, but now he needs reading glasses to read small print. So from my observation, carrots did not help my dad in the long run!

2. Caitlyn Elizabeth Davis

I am fascinated by your post because as a child my dad would always tell me carrots helped your vision but I never believed him. Carrots are beneficial for your eyesight but I also read y that other vegetables such as “green, leafy vegetables. Spinach, kale or collard greens” help your eyesight. On another hand, my mom told me a story about how her friend ate so many carrots that she turned orange! I did not believe my mom until I read
    that if you eat too many carrots “the beta-carotene, a pigment that is present in high amounts, enters the bloodstream.”