Are there really benefits of organic food?

US-organic-food-market-to-grow-14-from-2013-18Many people today are overly concerned with the idea of organic foods that it made me wonder whether there are actually any benefits and if these benefits are that detrimental to someone’s health. Since organic farming is designed to preserve soil and water while also reducing pollution, we can assume that it is beneficial to the environment. Speaking more in terms of the human body, organic foods are free from pesticides and food additives which some may see as a healthier option. It is even said that eating more organic can help someone lose weight! The Huffington post claims that “When a produce is over-fertilized, the ratio of calories per antioxidant activity goes way up.” With this being said, someones actually intaking more calories and less nutrients the produce is offering, making organic produces the healthier option. It is also said that “Fruits and vegetables grown without artificial fertilizers significantly more key nutrients, including vitamin C.”

This may not be all true. Some researchers have concluded that there is no significant nutrient difference between organically and conventionally produced food. Even the United States Department of Agriculture claims that organic farming methods do not offer safer produce than conventionally grown produce. So, are people just spending more money because of the name “organic.” After many studies, researchers still can find no evidence of significant health differences between the two. Along with health benefits, there is also no significant evidence of disease protection from eating organic food. It seems as though the benefits that organic foods produce are not as beneficial as some may have thought. I do not see any benefit due to the many researchers that have deemed there no health difference between the two.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Madeline Policastro

Madeline Policastro is a Senior in the School of Communications at Penn State University majoring in Telecommunications with a minor in Business and the Liberal Arts. Throughout her college experience, she has successfully exhibited creative problem solving and the determination, leadership, and ability to excel in fast-paced environments. She aspires full-time employment in either the communications field or business field. Madeline also has the ability to listen and understand others demonstrating emotional intelligence. Madeline has participated in extracurricular activities and community service as an active member of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority. She previously held the position of assistant director of recruitment where her responsibilities included, however, were not limited to; guiding fellow members in the appropriate pragmatics required for acquiring personable and responsible young women and overseeing recruitment gatherings necessary for scouting potential new members. Additionally, she was a social media contributor in which she curated content and added to social media pages to promote sisterhood, while encouraging young women to join the organization. Outside of academics and extracurricular activities, Madeline enjoys traveling and spending time with her friends and family. Madeline spent her spring semester Junior year studying abroad in Rome, Italy and hopes to continue to travel and meet new people.

5 thoughts on “Are there really benefits of organic food?

1. Dominik Wlodarczyk

Madeline- I found your article “ Are there really benefits of organic food” extremely interesting! I feel like there has been so much buzz in the media lately advertising the endless benefits of “going organic”. Specialized food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole foods focus on marketing primarily organic foods, while traditional food markets seem to be boasting more expansive organic sections by the minute. With that being said, I’ve personally always wondered what the scientific benefits to eating organic foods entailed. I feel as if the high prices allure consumers into purchasing organic products because they automatically assume they must be healthier than traditional produce. I stumbled upon this article titled “Are organic foods really healthier”, that talks of similar claims that back up your blog. According to Stanford University researcher Dena Bravata, “There isn’t much difference between organic and conventional foods if you’re an adult and making a decision based solely on your health”. Your blog succeeded in securing my views on organic foods: since there was no significant nutrient difference, or health benefits proven through current scientific research.

2. jqr5447

I’m surprised that there was no significant health differences found between the two. A possible mechanism for that is that the human body has a special function or chemical that fights off the pesticides anyway, so it doesn’t matter in the long run. That could be an interesting topic to look into.

3. Holly Rubin

I’ve always tried to eat food that are “organic”, but until recently I realized that I don’t know what food being “organic” even means. When I looked up the definition, organic.org defined it as, “produce and other ingredients grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation.” In other words, food that is grown naturally and without chemicals. In my mind spending the extra money on food that wasn’t grown with chemicals makes sense. According to The Organic Center, it is worth it to spend extra money on organic food in order to reduce your exposure to harmful substances, hormones, and antibiotics.

4. Isaac Benjamin Will

My girlfriend constantly tells me to “Eat organic, eat organic, eat organic.” And most of the time, for no established reason at all, I simply chose not to. I was always under the belief that the food I was presently consuming was alright. There was nothing wrong with it. Now, of course, she would constantly tell me otherwise- Organic food was the right way to go. Organic food is the necessary way to go. And I would continue to disagree…but never be able to present any solid facts or a solid argument.
    So as I stumbled onto this blog, I couldn’t help but thinking “Oh no. More facts to support her side.”
    But after reading down through what was a very well written post, I realized that your blog wasn’t biased- you were examining the truth of it all and looking for an honest result. It surprises me that you found some harms to organic foods- I imagine this must have taken a good bit of research to find legitimate data. You were also able to draw many studies together and come to the conclusion that organic food isn’t all as great as it can often be made out to be.
    Your blog did an excellent job of bringing both sides, and reality, to light. The question that was raised for me though: How do we grow completely healthy and safe foods, if organic isn’t necessarily the best way?
    Some more information on the topic can be found by copying and pasting this URL here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/organic-food/art-20043880?pg=2

5. Hung Chieh Wang

Here are some reasons why most people choose to eat organic food Top 10 Reasons To Go Organic. But I think organic food do more psychological effect them real effect. Many people now live in city and they will think about the pollution and other things that may harm them. So they want to eat healthier by eating natural food, such as organic food. Although there may no difference between eating normal food and organic food, but they paid extra for the organic food, so they think it will be better. Although organic food may not make you healthy, but it make you think it does, and eventually you start a more healthy life. Sometimes, the power of mind can really change things! Great topic!