Cell Phone Radiation: Dangerous or Not?

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/files/2012/03/1233511701.jpg

I know that many people have posted about this topic throughout the semester, but I think that it is a topic worth addressing again. Cell phones are ubiquitous in our society. Everybody them and everybody uses them. Approximately 6 billion people on this planet have access to a mobile phone. But is this mainstream device dangerous? Yes, they provide convenience and entertainment but is the use of a cell phone really worth the risk that it carries?

Cellular devices use “electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range.” This is similar tot he type of radiation produced by other digital wireless systems. In 2011, the International Agency for Research on Cancer classified cell phone radiation as Group 2B. This means that cell phone radiation is possibly carcinogenic. Some agents and mixtures also classified as Group 2B are acetamide, lead, uracil mustard, and cobalt. The agents and mixtures included in Group 2B usually have limited or inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity but relevant data proves a slim chance of carcinogenicity.

So what does this mean for cell phone users? Group 2B is a lot better than Group 2A (meaning probably carcinogenic) and Group 1 (carcinogenic). In order to truly tell if cell phone radiation is carcinogenic or not, long-term research must be conducted. However, scientists have begun conducting studies to try and understand the connection between cell phone use and cancer.

A scientist with the last name of Yakymenko conducted a meta-study. From his meta-analysis of epidemiological and experimental data, Yakymenko concluded that the exposure long term low intensity microwaves can lead to tumorigenesis. Yakymenko analyzed several studies that dealt with “radar radiation and cancer promotion,” “rodent model of cancer promotions by microwaves,” “microwaves and cell metabolism,” and “microwaves of radars and mobile communication systems.” Based on these conclusions, Yakymenko suggests that precautionary measures for everyday microwave exposure from cellular devices should be put into place. Despite the relatively low risk of brain cancer, people should still be cautious because ailments can take up to 30 years to fully develop. After reading through his study review fully, I believe in these results. However, I still must remain hesitant to believe it 100% because of the file drawer problem. Since this is a meta-study, it could suffer from the file drawer problem. Studies that found that cellular radiation had no affect on cancer formation could not have been published. Therefore, the results of those null-hypothesis studies would not be considered in Yakymenko’s analysis.

http://www.healthyfoodelements.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/mobile.jpeg

It is unrealistic to tell the world to stop using cell phones. However, it is important that the world is aware of the dangers we may face because of cell phone radiation. The World Health Organization recommends that people try to adopt hands-free devices or texting to reduce the radiation exposure. Obviously, the exposure is higher when the cell phone is closer to our heads and bodies. It is also best to try and keep mobile phone use limited for children.

But despite all of this, there have been many studies that concluded that cell phones do not cause cancer. In 2010, the largest international study of brain tumor wish in mobile device usage was conducted. The Interphone study group conducted an “interview-based case control study” with over 4,00 glioma and meningioma patients. In the end, the Interphone study group saw no increase in risk of meningioma or glioma due to the use of mobile phones. However, the long-term effects still need to be investigated.

So what does all of this mean? Are cell phones good or bad? Well, I believe that it is still too early to tell. Cell phones have only been around for about twenty years. Only time will tell if the cell phone radiation will effect the world in the long term. To really find out what is going on, a study should be conducted now that follows thousands of people, with controls, throughout their lifetimes. For now, I would use my cell phone with caution, but there is no way that I am taking it out of my life.

2 thoughts on “Cell Phone Radiation: Dangerous or Not?

1. Aidan Quinn Graham

Awesome topic! I have a friend who NEVER puts his phone to his head, only using hands free devises such as head phones (don’t even get him started on bluetooth). At first I thought this was crazy, but the more I think about it, he may be on to something. As you point out, these devices have been around for only about 20 years, which, as we’ve learned in class, may not be a large enough time to truly study and understand the reprocutions.

I think you could expand more on the potential negative effects (you touched on brain tumors, but there are research papaers that go into deeper effects, etc.)

Overall, great job!

2. Rory McGowan

As you’ve said, it has only been 20 or so years since cellphones as we know them have been out and about. They are extremely pervasive throughout out society. I read a statistic the other day that Americans consume nearly 15.5 hours of media per day.. How many of those hours are spent on their phones? I’d wager quite a few. However, I see this issue being a big future problem. It took awhile for people to realize that smoking is bad–will cellphones suffer the same fate?