Does listening to Eminem make you a better athlete?

If you are an athlete or someone who likes to work out, I’m sure that many of you prefer to work out while listening to music. Is this because you like something to entertain yourself, because you want to listen to that new album you downloaded, or because you just like listening to music? Recent research has shown that the music you listen to while training or working out may actually have an effect on your athletic performance.

There was one study done by scientists from the UK on swimmer Ben Hooper, testing the effects on his performance in response to listening to various types of music while training. Researchers were able to compile a set of about one hundred songs of different paces, artists, genres, and moods to test on Hooper during practices. Based on Hooper’s reactions to different songs, the scientists were able to put together a list of “The top ten songs for optimal athletic performance” and also a list of the songs to avoid while training. It is not surprising to see three of Eminem’s songs in the top ten best songs, two of which are ranked as #1 and #2. Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 12.49.31 PM Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 12.49.41 PM

The researchers found that when Hooper listened to Eminem‘s songs while training, his performance was boosted by 10%. The tracks were shown to significantly improve the swimmers endurance for long swims and increase his speed, leading to a better race time. Hooper also told the researchers that he felt less exhausted after his swims listening to Eminem’s music than he did while swimming to other artist’s music.

When researchers played Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds” during Hooper’s swim training, there was no improvement in speed or performance whatsoever. He even appeared to be exhausting more effort into the same laps he swam in the other studies.

After analyzing the results of the study, the researchers debated over exactly what about Eminem’s music improved athletic performance. Some scientists believe that rhythm and a slightly faster-than-average pace is important to distract athletes and motivate them through the pain, while others believe that listening to fast paced music at a high volume is the most effective.

Although exactly what about Eminem’s tracks makes athletes preform better is unclear, the researchers agreed that slower paced and non-intense tracks causes a slightly negative effect, giving the athlete the impression that he strained himself more to achieve the same (and even slightly worse) results.

Certainly, correlation does not equal causation. Just because Hooper preformed better in his swimming practice while listening to Eminem and similar artists music, does not necessarily mean that the music is the cause. There may be confounding variables in this study. Something that should have been considered is what type of music Ben Hooper likes to listen to. If his favorite artist of all time is Eminem, that may be a reason why his performance was better while listening to his music. He also should have been asked by researchers whether or not he likes music by Bob Marley. If he hates Reggae music, that would explain why his performance was less than extraordinary while listening to those tracks.

Although I do think this study is worth looking at, I think the researchers would have benefitted from doing more extensive research. They could have also done a study about how athletes respond from listening to their favorite artist while working out. I think that is an important factor because if an athlete hates Eminem’s music, maybe their results would be completely different than what they found in this study.

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 2.38.36 PMWhen looking at Muscle & Fitness’s “25 Greatest Power Songs of all Time
Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” is ranked #13 because “The bass line pulsates, the lyrics mesmerize and the message is Ali-esque: Don’t let anyone – even the doubting Thomas within – talk you out of grabbing exactly what you want.” It’s hard to argue with that statement.

Personally, I am not surprised that Eminem’s music relates to a better athletic performance. His songs have angry and motivating lyrics, fast paces, and loud choruses. Almost my entire playlist for when I run is composed of his music. For me, listening to loud and intense music detracts from how exhausted you are or how much pain you might be in, and motivates you to push forward. I am curious about what other

2 thoughts on “Does listening to Eminem make you a better athlete?

1. Jose Ignacio Arango De Diego

Well I for sure can relate to swimmer Ben hooper. I have played football my whole life and part of my ritual since I have been a kid involves listening to music before the game. When I was a kid my dad always played the same set of songs before my games when driving me to the stadium. It might sound funny but the 4 songs he played before arriving to the stadium were from the band Queen. He would put bohemian rapsody, then another one bites the dust, we will rock you and then we are the champions. My hype after listing to this songs was so big I do consider I performed better during the games. That is why I agree with you about this study and correlation does not equal causation and it might all depend on what are your likes of music. Another song that pumps me up every time before a game or at the gym is Eminem’s Till’ I collapse. I think it is a great motivational song that works most of the time. Here is the link.

2. Alicja Justyna Bartnikiewicz

I thought I was the only one that listened to Eminem while working out as all my friends listen to pop music. I agree that the research should be more extensive, however I found your post very interesting. I remember seeing an article about songs that scientists recommend as best to work out to. You can check it out here.