Nothing But Healthy Foods, Yet Still Can’t Shed The Weight

Some of the healthiest eaters are sometimes some of the most overweight of all. After experimenting with numerous different diets myself, I have began to question the truth behind weight loss. Before I dive in to my findings, I must note that there is a tremendous difference between weight loss and HEALTHY weight loss.

In a recent experiment published in CNN News, Mark Haub, professor at Kansas State of Human Nutrition, eats a diet consisting of twinkies, donuts, and nutty bars only, over the course of 10 weeks. Haub lost a significant amount of weight, 27 lbs, as he cut his calories from 2600 to 1800 daily on this all twinky and donut diet. Wow… Now, how is this possible when you think about all of the sugar, additive’s, and artificial products that are attributing to this? Well, weight loss is strictly a mathematical equation, the less caloric intake, the more weight is shed. Although the weight flew off without a problem, his overall health and cholesterol levels were severely alarming.Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 11.28.40 PM

After taking a look at successful diets such as veganism, and the foods that are consumed when on these intense restrictions, depending on the person the diet most likely consists of not only vegetables and fruits, but also a lot of good fats like nuts, olive oil…etc. Whenever anyone thinks of nuts they assume two things: 1: Stay away! Fattening. And 2: High. In. Calories. Well… According to this study, there were three groups of which each were served high caloric foods, and roughly 40% more than their maintenance requirements. One group had the majority of its calories stemming from sources of protein (high protein). One of which had a normal amount of protein, and the last group was low protein. The group that had lower protein consumption had higher fat consumption to make up for the decline in nutrients, and vice versa. Carbohydrates were kept the same throughout all experiments to avoid possible confounding variables. The results concluded that over the course of ____ weeks, the group that consumed the higher percentage of fats and lower amount of protein gained a third as much weight as the group who was high protein and low fat. Keep in mind: both groups consumed the same amount of calories. The fact that calories were the same, but where they were coming from differed greatly, says a lot about what is needed when trying to lose weight.

Although this was an experimental study, I think there are many possible confounding variables that were left unnoticed. The experiment did not even mention the types of foods in which the protein or sources of fat were coming from; this could have played a tremendous factor in regards to weight gain. A pile of peanut butter might digest differently than something topped with olive oil, due to its natural complexity and breakdown in the body. Another aspect of the experiment that I thought could have improved was the wide range of participants and their weights to begin. The study mentions that the participants had a BMI of 19-30 and some were overweight while some were considered normal. Well, what is normal? The study mentions that they mathematically calculated by weight how much overeating would be needed to have stable levels throughout all of the groups, BUT those who were overweight to begin with could have thyroid problems, or other genetic disorders in which they gain weight more easily. Aside from that, this experiment was well conducted and did a great job in showing how calorie counting is not the only answer to losing weight.

After having delved right in to both experiments, I must say I am still a little in shock and unsure of what the best answer is. I think that everybody’s bodies are different and while some things may work for some, they may not work for others. That being said, I was extremely shocked by the twinkies diet and how Haub managed to lose 27 pounds… I think that while it is great to lose weight in a healthy way from proper foods and nutrients, it is definitely also possible to do so by strictly cutting calories, even if it means not eating the most healthy options. My best advice is if you are looking to shed weight fast, maybe limit your calories but from a variety of healthy foods, don’t just rely on donuts!

2 thoughts on “Nothing But Healthy Foods, Yet Still Can’t Shed The Weight

1. Victoria Chelsea Bushman

I agree with you on the notion that caloric intake definitely is a major factor in determining weight loss. Although I disagree that veganism is a successful diet plan, as it is more about a lifestyle change rather than a plan to lose weight. In fact many vegans gain weight (mostly because they are not sure how to balance their meals) because they satisfy their hunger by eating a lot of carbohydrates, which if lacking protein will lead to weight gain. Therefore, a plant-based diet is really the only successful sort of diet. Although as urged in this article, it is not a good diet plan for those who are looking just to lose weight, due to the major commitment and change of lifestyle that comes with going vegan.

2. lmm6078

I found this article fairly interesting due to the fact that I am also trying to lose weight . I don’t tend to eat the healthiest and that could be due to the reason it’s pretty tough. I do stay physically active and I think that is a big part in losing weight. Eating food is definitely important, but without any exercise, you can’t burn off the calories of that food. This article is great for your post for it compares the effectiveness of the two when trying to lose weight. https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/exandwtloss.html
    The direct causation for weightloss is a healthy diet along with amount of physical activity one has.