The Prescription Drug Issue (at least at college)

So as we approach finals week, there is a noticeable murmur ( at least I have heard it) about where to get drugs such as Adderall to help students study better. I found this interesting because this had never struck me as being an large issue until I came to college and found out just how many people tried using the drug when they were not prescribed it. I did some research on this topic, and also conducted my own poll with several of my peers around me to gain a little bit more information.

When I polled ten students who live within my dorm and asked a series of three questions,

1. Have you ever taken Adderall or another performance enhancing drug?
  2. Was it for the purpose of studying if so?
  3. Are you prescribed Adderall or another similar drug?

When asked these questions, six out of ten individuals answered yes to the first two questions, however, the same six individuals all answered no to the third. Not a single person out of six who had taken the drug was prescribed it!! This meant that they were receiving it from someone, and more than likely paying decent money for it. This also meant that the amount that they purchased was solely based on the supply that the dealer was willing to give out.

As I researched further to see if this was an extra high amount, I was shocked to see how low the actual amount was in comparison to my small poll. The study showed that of a cumulative amount of those polled in college, 61.8% had been offered a drug such as Adderall or Ritalin, and a cumulative amount of 31% had taken these drugs. Which in relation to my study was quite low, but still an astounding number considering that there is such a large quantity of college students within the trial, and only 5.3% of college students total in the United States are prescribed these drugs.

All in all, when looking at these numbers, there is a real issue and it is one that could really affect the lives of many if something were to go awry with the drugs or prescriptions.

2 thoughts on “The Prescription Drug Issue (at least at college)

1. Aubree Sylvia Rader

It is great that you constructed your own poll on the subject, but I would have liked to see more scientific studies done over the years. Important details were left out about the medicine abuse project study which could have played a large role in the outcomes. Was it unanimous? If not, teens might be reluctant to admit to taking drugs not prescribed to them. You could include negative effects from taking the drug and whether or not the percentage has increased or decreased over the years. There could be third variables that also changed the results.

2. Amanda Taina Quinones

This post stood out to me particularly because I had been on prescription ADD medicine from first grade until freshman year of college. People often ask me why I got off of the medicine as a freshman in college, a time when add medications are highly desirable. I got off of it because quite simply I saw that it was endangering me. I was relying on it, believing that the only way I could achieve good grades was through my medication. My appetite was lacking, often times I was only eating two bites of a sandwich for lunch. Most prominent, I felt as if I was going through my life as a zombie anxious and sad. If I saw a friend in the hall I would turn the other way, I had no desire to socialize. I am not the only one who experienced these effects of adderal or concerta. This is why I agree with you when you say the use of prescription drugs to those unprescribed is a problem. Because as much as it helps, it can also be dangerous to an individual. In doing research I discovered the zombie feeling I described is correctly termed as emotional lability. It is a lack of emotional reaction and triggers irritability. href=”http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/957-2.html”>Here is an article further describing side effects.