What can our eyes tell us?

Stock_07_by_absense_stock

Most people say that the first thing they notice about an individual is their eyes.  However, besides just looks, can eyes tell us anything important about a person? Actually, your eyes can tell you more about yourself than you may have previously thought. It has been proven that an individual’s eyes can give insight on their health or the way in which their body functions. The color of a person’s irises and sclera can often alert a person if they have certain health issues.

There are many different health related associations with blue or light colored eyes. The first is that people with blue eyes tend to be more light-sensitive. It likely due to the fact that light-colored eyes have less light-absorbing eye pigment. Darker eyes aren’t as light sensitive because they have more pigment, meaning less light gets through the iris. Another association is that blue or light- colored eyes may be more at risk for cancer. Due to the fact that “lighter eyes have less pigment to protect them from harmful ultraviolet rays, it’s true that light-eyed people have a greater lifetime risk for melanoma of the uvea, the middle layer of the eye, than their dark-eyed peers” (Vann). Although this form of cancer is extremely rare, it is still possible due to the eye color. The last important association is an autoimmune disease that causes blotchy skin color, called Vitiligo, is less common is lighter eyes. In one large study, nearly half the patients with this disease had brown eyes. Researcher realized that “two particular genes, TYR and OCA2, which play a role in blue eye color, also decrease risk for vitiligo” (Klein). Which could be why individuals with blue or light eyes are less likely to get this disease.

Brown eyes also have a health association. Individuals with brown eyes are at a greater risk of getting cataracts. A study done by the American Journal of Ophthalmology in 2000 found “dark-eyed people had a 1.5 to 2.5 times greater risk of cataracts.” (Klein). Some researchers believe this may be due to dark eyes being more light-absorbent which increases the temperature of the lens.

There are also health associations with what the white a person’s eye, called the Sclera, looks like. The first is that if it begins to turn red, it may mean the person is suffering from an infection, allergies, or dryness. Yellowing of the eyes may mean the person has a problem with their liver. Lastly a white or grey ring forming around the iris, a condition called Arcus Senilis, is a result of cholesterol deposits. This shows the person may have high cholesterol, meaning they are at a higher risk for a heart attack or stroke.

Overall, it is clear our eyes have more purpose than just sight alone. An individual’s eyes can tell more about them than most would imagine. Studies have proven and scientists strongly support the claim that individual’s eyes can give insight on their health or the way in which their body functions.

(Picture)

5 thoughts on “What can our eyes tell us?

1. Brian D Wess

I previously had heard about light colored eyes being more sensitive to light than dark colored eyes but I have dark brown eyes and they have always been super sensitive to light. You would always find me with sunglasses on or squinting as a kid, even at the dentist I would be given a pair of sunglasses to wear because the light bothered me. Even now when going to the dentist I’ll close my eyes so my eyes won’t water. Besides eye color, another factor that can influence light sensitivity are large pupils. I’m not sure if that is what is causing my light sensitivity but that is the first I’ve heard of another cause. Something related to light sensitivity is I feel like I see pretty well in the dark, so maybe more light enters my eyes than the average person allowing me to see better in the dark or at night.

2. Morgan Alexandria Parker

It is crazy how much we can tell about other people just by the color of their eyes. I wonder if people have anything else in common when it comes to their eye color. For example, those with dark eyes are likely to have dark hair. Dark hair may be a third variable in this case rather than just the dark eyes. I also wonder if different color eyes respond differently to different things such as eye drops and medications meant for your eyes? Interesting post, thanks a lot!

3. Matthew Meise Kreymborg

I found this blog very interesting! It was very well written and explained everything in detail. My biggest fear is loosing my eyesight, so I try to be very careful with my eyes, and wear sunglasses when I can. I have very blue eyes, and I defiantly agree with how lighter eyes are more sensitive to light. I have been told my whole life that it is extremely important to protect my eyes. The information you provided in this blog has helped me understand some of the reasons why I need to do this. Thank you for sharing!

4. Katie Ann Farnan

This was very interesting! I never really thought about what eye color is telling us but it makes sense that lighter eyes are more sensitive to things like light whereas darker eyes can handle it better. But on the contrary, dark eyes, like you said, are more susceptible to getting cataracts because of the temperature, something I never considered. Great work!