Are you secure?

Recently Penn State started a partial implementation of a cyber security called two factor authentication. This is unique from anything that Penn State has tried when it comes to cyber security, because it causes those who are already enrolled to have to authenticate that it is truly them who is signing into that account.

This is special because the science behind this has allowed for large companies such as Target and Amazon to keep their information for customers more secure upon the customers request. This is done through an algorithm that is run through the authentication system, and requires a generated code to finish the algorithm. To receive a code the person either needs an interactive token which in its simplest form is a key chain attachment that spits out a code at the touch of a button, or a cell phone/smart phone. By using a cell phone a code can be texted to the person so that they can manually input the code. The use of a smart phone allows for the person to download applications that sync up to certain accounts, much like Penn State Webaccess, that allow for persons to authenticate their account with just the touch of one button.

This is a huge step in cyber security because it helps to lock accounts until the verification has been confirmed by the intended user. This helps to eliminate the simple hacker who runs a code to guess passwords once they have obtained an username. By adding the extra layer there is no way that a program can work past the second layer of putting in a code because there is not token connected to the account except for the one possessed by the user.

2 thoughts on “Are you secure?

1. Mitchell Seth Korzen

I have noticed this trend recently and glad someone blogged about it. This is an interesting topic because I have heard mixed reviews regarding this topic. I wonder if there is a way that we can be more secure, such as requiring a password for more than just Penn State websites, but every time we use the Penn State wifi. I know people that have had security issues here, so what solution do you have to this problem?

2. Jessica Nicole Greenhut

I find this very interesting because I feel that in the present there is not enough security on peoples accounts. In the past, I personally had my Facebook hacked into, and the hackers were able to control all my accounts, just from receiving that one email and password. The hackers even got a hold of my moms credit card and this turned into a bigger issue then just a “hacking” since they had all of my codes I was unable to shut anything down. The embarrassing posts that this hacker would make on my Facebook wall, as well as the messages they sent to people, were taken out of hand and the police were never able to find the offender. Reading that Penn State is boosting its security reassures me that my information is safe. Cyber security is so important so that the innocent are not victimized.

There are steps to take in order to prevent this from happening to you included in the link below:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Hacking