Can perfume harm human respiratory system?

Perfume was originated to mimic the fragrance of nature and has been developed chronologically into a tool to increase the personal charm by human. Perfume, like other necessities, is omnipresent in in our life: we wear perfume after we dressed, when we want to get rid of some unpleasant odor and before we go to bar to look for the counterparts. Respiratory system However, continuously emerging allergy accidents raise the concern of the safety of perfume used in our life to the public as perfume is directly inhaled into our body through the respiratory system. Scientists have been working for years to decode the mystery of the safety of perfume and it turns out that perfume does harm human respiratory system.

The pathological effects come from perfume itself. Perfume contains numerous chemicals that will irritate human respiratory system like glycerol ether and monoethanolamines1, two renowned irritants.

Besides the hazardous chemicals, ethanol inside the perfume can actually intensify the sensitization of respiratory system. A research showed that asthma patients who pre-inhaled ethanol had higher average cough than healthy experiment subjects did, and the allergy reaction were dose-dependent2.

Meanwhile, Eau De Parfum, as the label that we see in the market most frequently, is the perfume that contains mostly alcohol ethanol. Ethanol is added in bulk for merchandise uses. First, alcohol inside perfume is often used as solvent and can increase the volume of perfume, that is the reason why we are willing to purchase the perfume in bigger bottles, whatsoever, sells at higher prices than the one in smaller bottles. Second, ethanol can vaporize so quickly that, if with volatile fragrances, gives people ten to fifteen times more intense smell than the fragrant substances alone3. Tragically, the augmented effect always comes with sensitizing issues of respiratory system.

Contrary to the positive correlation between perfume and sensitiveness of respiratory system, sometimes the perfume dose not work on pathology of respiratory system allergy. In some cases, the nocebo effect, believing something works while it is not, will confound the causality in between perfume and respiratory symptoms4.

What we can do about the perfume when it is deleterious? With the side effects of perfume, we can just simply change the perfume with crude fragrant oils or purchase the perfume with less alcohol inside. Life sucks so keep using your beloved perfume at exorbitant prices xb.

1. Fragrance: Emerging health and environmental concerns, Flavour and Fragrance Journal17, pages 361-371(Sep 2002).
  2. Millqvist, E.Ternesten-Hasséus, E.Bende, M., Inhaled ethanol potentiates the cough response to capsaicin in patients with airway sensory hyperreactivity, Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics21, Pages 794-797(Oct 2008)
  3. http://thefragranceshop.com/whats-wrong-with-your-fragrance/
  4. Jaen Cristina, Dalton, Pamela, Asthma and odors: The role of risk perception in asthma exacerbation, JOURNAL OF PSYCHOSOMATIC RESEARCH77, 302-308(Oct 2014).

3 thoughts on “Can perfume harm human respiratory system?

1. Jenny Eberhardt

I found this article very interesting! I love perfumes and own a variety of them and honestly had never given them a second thought. I should probably start looking for some new products though because I suffer from bad asthma that is often triggered by allergies. I could be allergic to my perfume and not even know it! I looked it up and asthma and perfumes definitely don’t mix.. http://www.qualityhealth.com/asthma-articles/why-asthma-perfumes-dont-mix Thanks for the article!

2. Jose Ignacio Arango De Diego

Wow, I had no idea that perfumes could possibly harm our respiratory system. I mean, its just a small doze that we spray on our bodies. Thats why I found your blog really interesting since it has made clear the possible harms of it. But did you know where or how most of these super costly perfumes are created. It might sound nasty, but some of the most expensive perfumes are made out of Ambergris. It is a solid, waxy, flammable substance of a dull grey or blackish color produced in the digestive system of sperm whales and its value its really high raging over an estimate of 60 thousand dollars.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/08/120830-ambergris-charlie-naysmith-whale-vomit-science/

3. Joseph Zaccaria

I thought this was interesting especially because every time someone sprays too much cologne or perfume around me I feel like I can’t breathe. I also never really thought of all of the chemicals like ethanol they put in there so it makes sense that it would irritate your insides and even your skin