Growing out of allergies

For starters let me begin by listing everything I’m allergic to. All types of nuts, chocolate, anything with citrus, shellfish, tomatoes, wheat and dairy. Now it is probably difficult to think what I possible eat and the answer is literally nothing. So I figured with all my allergies there has to be way to eventually grow out of your allergies.

mixed_nuts

Allergies occurs when your immune system tries to fight harmless substances. When functioning correctly, your body’s defenses attack foreign invaders, like viruses. With allergies, the immune system mistakenly targets pollen, pet dander or certain foods, for example, sending molecules called immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to orchestrate a “defense says livescience. But in most cases doctors have yet to figure out how people outgrow their allergies. Many theories show that your body just got accustomed to the allergen eventually releasing its not as big of a threat as the immune system thought. Because doctors have yet to find a reason for why allergies “disappear” it is a mystery of science. Doctors strategies with food allergies by giving small doses at a time to increase the exposure to the immune system. This is a dangerous approach when people like me are deathly allergic to nuts or any other type of food. recent study by doctors at Johns Hopkins University showed that the majority of kids won’t outgrow allergies until much later, possibly as late as age 16. Doctors say many allergies are hit or miss, sometimes you will grow out of them but more times than not you’re stuck with it for life.
chocolate

6 thoughts on “Growing out of allergies

1. Makeda A Drew

I have allergies, but i am allergic to grass, pollen,weeds. Growing up i could not even be outside when someone was cutting grass or my eyes would be really red and irritated and i had to have special eye drops to relieve my eyes. Now that i am older, i do feel as though it is a hit or miss because one year it will feel like i don’t have allergies and other year im miserable because of them. One trick my friend’s dad told me was to eat cayen peppers and my allergies would go away, though i never tried it, i research it and it does seem to work. that could be one way to expand you blog post is by explaining different remedies to make allergies go away forever. Here’s the link:
    http://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/cayenne.html

2. Jenny Eberhardt

I’m like you, my friends think that I am allergic to everything because I am allergic to dairy, cherries, pineapple, dogs, cats and horses. Growing up I was only allergic to the animals which was awful because I love them! It sounds like you’re a little worse off than I am in the food department though… I sincerely hope that I can at one point grow out of my allergies and they won’t affect me the way that they do now. Maybe you’ll find this blog interesting. It references based on when you became allergic to things when you’ll grow out of those allergies. http://blog.foodallergy.org/2013/09/13/who-is-likely-to-outgrow-a-food-allergy/

3. Sang Hyun Cho

Let me just tell you from reading the first 3 sentences, I’m so sorry. Allergies is also an issue for me. When I was younger I was deathly allergic to dust and dust mites. I was so allergic that my mom put me in an experimental program that was “supposed” to cure me. The process involved injecting me with tiny doses of dust into my blood stream and injecting another dose anti bodies. While I was sick and nauseous for the first few days, I actually grew out of my allergies. I do not know if this is the same process you said in your blog however, I do know first hand what it is like. Something I would suggest however, is rather than injecting allergens inside a child’s body, why not draw a sample of blood and inject the allergens into the sample. The blood cells in the sample would attack and destroy the allergen and with continued practice the blood cells will eventually ignore the allergen. This way it does not endanger the person’s life as the sample is already out of the body. Just some food for thought. Great article anyways and I hope you can find more research on this for kids like you and me.

4. Joseph Zaccaria

I know a lot of people that are allergic to something and I’m glad to not be one of them. I don’t know how I would be able to resist eating certain types of food all the time. Even allergies that aren’t food related would be rough to deal with like grass or latex. I also never knew that allergies could go away so I thought that was cool.