Turn down the Fetty Wap and Turn up the Mozart

Classical-Music-Wallpaper

Early in the semester I went through a rough patch and got really stressed out. I was walking downtown when I thought, hey maybe listening to some soothing music will help out my stress. I went on Spotify and choice a classical music playlist. It was weird at first but then it quickly grew on me. All of a sudden i felt soothed and calm again. I then thought since this distresses me then maybe it will do the same when im doing homework or studying. Ever since then I listen to classical music every time i do homework. I quickly started noticing how much more focus i had with this kind of music playing in the background. I then wondered what is it about this kind of music that makes me focus so much more? And what are the benefits to this?

A Finnish study tested the enhancement in gene activity after listening to classical music. The article explains how, “Researchers performed genome-wide transcriptional profiling from the peripheral blood of participants after they listened to classical music — and again without music exposure.” The study went on to having two groups of participants were asked to listen to Mozart’s Violin Concerto No. 3 in G major for twenty minutes while the other group was required to not listen to anything or avoid listening to any type of music. The results of this showed that those who listened to classical music had higher levels of dopamine.

Another study that was done at a university in France showed that the increased levels of dopamine classical music can cause increased students’ emotional state which made them more receptive to information in a lecture compared to those who did not listen to any type of music at all. It was found that classical music can also lessen anxiety. Researches have made men going under biopsy listen to Bach and they reported that they experienced less pain.

If you want to improve your concentration and feel like you need to relax just sit back and listen to some classical music. It’s been proven to lower blood pressure, release stress levels, improve sleep quality, enhance memory and alertness, and help fight depression and pain.

2 thoughts on “Turn down the Fetty Wap and Turn up the Mozart

1. sjl5595

I really appreciate your article. Actually I listen to music to do everything all the time. I agree with the point that classical music does help people to be more relax and feel less pain while gain more attention. However, the two experiments you mentioned both lack of data provided to prove the statement and make the whole blog more convincing. But overall I like your blog about this music theory!

2. Taylor Nicole D'anna

So many people have been writing about the affects of music and what great benefits you can get from listening to classical often. Another one of our classmates wrote about the same thing and I commented on his also, you can find that here http://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/12/04/how-music-affect-our-health/. I also wrote about the positive affects of classical music in babies and you can find that here https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/wp-admin/edit.php Enjoy!